Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I originally posted this on SHOForum, but I figured that if I posted it on TCCA also I would get twice the help. Anyway, I just got me a '95 MTX after I got tired of the gay AX4N that came with the Gen III. It's really nice and all, but it won't start. I actually got it knowing this, but I thought it would be an easy fix.

It's not. Let's just say that I've tried everything I can think of so far with no luck. The way it's acting sounds like it would be a CPS failure, but it just had a 60k, so that's unlikely.

I have a video with me trying to start it, and then doing a KOEO test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNvdunbwG4o

Any ideas?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Start by telling us what you have replaced, what you know for a fact has been recently replaced, and what you have checked ?

I believe you have a rubber belt driving a master cam that drives a chain that runs across both slave cams.
I would say its a good bet if its not a sensor, or ignition module, or coil packs....... the rubber timing belt has broken.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol Sorry...

OK, what happened when the car died - Supposedly, the guy was driving uphill, and when he gave it a little extra gas, the RPMs just dropped to idle. Then when he got to the bottom of the other side of the hill, the car died and hasn't started since.

When I got it, the previous owner said that he performed a full 60k on it. When I originally went up to Jersey to try to diagnose it, I checked the timing belt, and it was intact with no slack. I also got a new battery, swapped out the coil pack for a new one, and took the intake off to check to see if there was an injector problem. When everything was back together, it still wouldn't start, but I noticed that the injectors were working fine when the intake was off. An early theory was that it could be the DIS module, but I don't know how to check it.

The symptoms sound a lot like a bad crank sensor, but if a 60k was done then it wouldn't be that. I'm not sure if the water pump was replaced with the 60k, but if it wasn't then that would certainly cause a new crank sensor to fail. Is there a way to check the electrical resistance on the crank sensor wiring?

How common are ignition module failures on the Gen II?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm getting 114, 116, and 551, with one or 2 of them having to do with the fact that I can't get the car up to operating temperature for the test, and none of them having an effect on whether the car would have a problem starting.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
551 is the IAC not working. Will it start if you hold the gas pedal down a bit?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A bit, as in just a tad, or pumping it? I've tried the latter, but I'll try holding it down about 1/4 and let you know how it goes.

UPDATE: Didn't work... Somebody on SHOForum said to try wiggling the DIS connectors while somebody else tries to start the car, so I'm gonna try that real quick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A bit, as in just a tad, or pumping it? I've tried the latter, but I'll try holding it down about 1/4 and let you know how it goes.

UPDATE: Didn't work... Somebody on SHOForum said to try wiggling the DIS connectors while somebody else tries to start the car, so I'm gonna try that real quick.
[/b]
On SHOs(89 thru 95) if the CrankPosition Sensor fails usually there will not be any tach operation. The quick test is to crank the SHO while watching the tach. If the tach isn't registering anything it is almost certain it is the Crank Position Sensor.

Rarely the sensor will set a code which I forget right now but it is something like a 211 or 212 stating something like PIP failure.

Good Luck

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, that didn't work, so I pulled off the front of the engine, checked my timing, and replaced the CPS, and STILL NO SPARK!!!! Somebody please help!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, this one's my mom's sorta...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
On SHOs(89 thru 95) if the CrankPosition Sensor fails usually there will not be any tach operation. The quick test is to crank the SHO while watching the tach. If the tach isn't registering anything it is almost certain it is the Crank Position Sensor.

Rarely the sensor will set a code which I forget right now but it is something like a 211 or 212 stating something like PIP failure.

Good Luck
[/b][/quote]
OK, somehow I missed this post last time I checked the thread, but it looks like you were right. Here's the update: I gave up on trying to fix this car awhile ago, so I had it taken to the dealer, and they said there WAS a PIP issue. Anyways, a dealer repair bill is too expensive for my tastes, so I was wondering how I could fix this myself. Any input would be great, because this weekend there's gonna be a whole team (well, maybe 2 or 3 people) of mechanically inclined individuals at my house looking this thing over, and anything I can tell them about would help!

·
Registered
353 Posts
PIP failure?

That's one I hadn't heard of. My '92 SHO is still down, and I have a no-spark situation with it, also.

Can anyone elaborate on A.) What does PIP mean? and B.) How do I diagnose this and fix it if indeed it is the case?

-Steve

(p.s., sorry to hijack a thread, I have a similar issue with mine).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought you had spark, but no fuel? And it's no problem, anything to get attention to my question of "how do you fix a PIP issue?"!! lol

PIP stands for profile ignition pickup, BTW.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Must be wiring then. I just replaced the crank sensor... It's at a shop now anyways, and it's expected to be running by Wednesday or around there somewhere.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts