Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a no spark condition. It's a 96 Sable w/ Vulcan. Does anyone know how I can test this all-in-one ignition coil? I have tried to poke around it with the DMM, but the only reading I can get is 13.5K ohms between the (-) and (+) coil pins for each of the 3 coils. I also measured +12VDC to the coil power pin.

I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, and tested the output, which was ~0.6VAC.

Does anyone have any idea?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
QUOTE (98formulaLS1 @ May 29 2009, 02:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728905
I have a no spark condition. It's a 96 Sable w/ Vulcan. Does anyone know how I can test this all-in-one ignition coil? I have tried to poke around it with the DMM, but the only reading I can get is 13.5K ohms between the (-) and (+) coil pins for each of the 3 coils. I also measured +12VDC to the coil power pin.

I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, and tested the output, which was ~0.6VAC.

Does anyone have any idea?[/b]
check the gear on the camshaft sensor
http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54809

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (SurHaxalot @ May 29 2009, 09:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728931
QUOTE (98formulaLS1 @ May 29 2009, 02:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728905

Does anyone have any idea?[/b]
check the gear on the camshaft sensor
http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54809
[/b][/quote]

thanks, already did, and replaced it. btw, the camshaft sensor doesn't control anything with spark, it only controls the timing of the fuel injection. Even if this sensor was broken, the car should still be getting spark.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Are you sure you dont have any codes? What kind of scanner are you using?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jun 2 2009, 06:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729759
Is your scanner even communicating with the car??? I'd check to see that all the pins on the DLC are plugged in correctly and firmly as well as check fuses and wiring connections at the battery cables.[/b]
yes, the scanner does indeed communicate with the vehicle, thats one of the step in the scanners process to pull the codes, it checks for communication before proceeding to the next step.

I've checked all the fuses and wiring connections at the battery cables. I've also checked all the grounds in the engine bay.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jun 3 2009, 08:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729888
What's been done to the car within the last few weeks?? BEFORE you replaced the crank sensor.[/b]
I replaced the waterpump and radiator, and the spark plugs and wires. When I was done with the waterpump install, the car started and drove fine. On the way home, I gave it some throttle, ran the RPMs up, and when the RPM's peaked, it died completely. Hasn't started since. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would guess the crank sensor. You won't get any codes if it is dead.

You can check the crank signal backprobing the PCM connector with a voltmeter set on AC. It is the gray wire on pin 21. IIRC the connector is upside down compared to this picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so I cut off the old wires going to the crank sensor, the grey and blue wire, and added new wire, just to make 100% sure that it wasn't shorting on anything, and still, no spark. I give up.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Did you check for a pulsing voltage before you cut the wires? Is the shield intact?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jun 7 2009, 10:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730730
Did you check for a pulsing voltage before you cut the wires? Is the shield intact?[/b]
yes and yes. I measured 0.6VAC, which is working properly. The ignition signal wires stay grounded while cranking and while ignition is on and engine not running. I've confirmed continuity between the harness, and no short to ground. I don't know what else I can do!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts