Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'99 Taurus Wagon 3.0 24v
I am replacing the power steering pump and decide that because I also have a small coolant leek it would be a good time to replace the water pump. I have removed the power steering pump, but the water pump has an interesting problem. It does not have enough room to come out of the engine compartment. All 4 nuts have been removed, but when I try to remove it it hits the wall before it clears the studs.:eek: I need another 1/4" or so. Short of pulling the engine, any suggestions on how to get the extra room? I have tried using a prybar to try and push the engine over but decided that it might not be a great idea.

I have tried un-screwing the studs, but the stud on the engine side is longer than the one that holds the water pump.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
There are 2 or 3 separate posts in the topic finder on removing the water pump from a 24v engine. Did you even look there?
(PS - you have to go at it through the right front wheel well.)

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I know on a gen 1 with a 3.8 you have to unbolt the front motor mount and raise the engine a bit to get the water pump out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. The correct answer in this case is remove the nut from the front right motor mount (very easy) and jack up the engine 1.5". I did research all the posts regarding water pumps and was not able to find a solution. Finally my son suggested lifting the engine. (Smart kid).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
23,391 Posts
Did you check in the topic finder @ top of this page for gen.3 tec water pump removal how-tos? No need to jack eng.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Did you check in the topic finder @ top of this page for gen.3 tec water pump removal how-tos? No need to jack eng.
Have never had to jack a Tec to change a water pump, ever. The correct (easiest) way to do it is in the wikki (Topic Finder), through front right wheel well. Pulling a plastic fender liner is a whole lot easier and quicker than jacking the engine up, but kudos on doing it yourself, either way!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts