Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I purchased my 04 Bull- SES w/Duratec.... I like the car but on the E-Way it has alot of body roll. Started looking on here about rear sway bars and found another person who was adding some to the rear of his car. So today I went to Parts Galore (U Pull It JY) and just started looking around at Taurii from 96-03 models (I looked at several) and they all had rear sway bars. I go out to my nice shiny newer low mileage Bull and look- NO SWAY BAR!!!! WTH is this about :angryfire: Why would Ford just stop putting them on the Gen 4.5, I'm just assuming that is what happened! Is my assumption correct? A rear sway bar doesn't seem like it should be on an option list.... I am really irritated by this! Can someone enlighten me as I am new to owning a Ford!

·
Registered
50 Posts
That doesn't make any sense. Why would Ford do that?! :huh:

Or do you think it might of been removed by the previous owner?

·
Registered
833 Posts
One less thing for them to spend to money on while charging the same amount for the car. I snagged one out of a 99 that'll go in whenever I install new rear struts. And no, you can't just put one in without changing the struts bc there is no mounting tab on your current struts. Sure, you could weld tabs on, but that's just a horrible idea.

No Seth, it wasn't removed, it was just never there. I believe 03 was the last year of the rear sway bar, iirc, the same year they changed the springs to the non-rust-break-poptire type.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ Jun 4 2010, 01:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809298
One less thing for them to spend to money on while charging the same amount for the car. I snagged one out of a 99 that'll go in whenever I install new rear struts. And no, you can't just put one in without changing the struts bc there is no mounting tab on your current struts. Sure, you could weld tabs on, but that's just a horrible idea.

No Seth, it wasn't removed, it was just never there. I believe 03 was the last year of the rear sway bar, iirc, the same year they changed the springs to the non-rust-break-poptire type.[/b]

:rofl2: @ "....changed the springs to the non-rust-break-poptire type...." that is effin HEE-larious!!! But anyway I am extremely upset right now, after discovering this.... I now have to change out perfectly good struts, just to get decent handling on the freeway! This is stoopid....Sway bar will only be about 15 bucks so I'm not to concerned about acquiring one of those.....

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts

No Seth, it wasn't removed, it was just never there. I believe 03 was the last year of the rear sway bar, iirc, the same year they changed the springs to the non-rust-break-poptire type.[/b]
The later Gen4 models aren't immune to dogleg rust and snapped rear springs. Come up to CNY ... you'll find 2006, 2007 tauruses riding with their bumper on the ground and rusted wheel wells...

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Both Tauruses I've owned, 99 and 04 didn't have them. Had to add them myself.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jun 4 2010, 02:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809320
QUOTE (SilverThunder @ Jun 4 2010, 11:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809318
Both Tauruses I've owned, 99 and 04 didn't have them. Had to add them myself.[/b]
Just out of curiosity, what size are you using for the rears and which Gen did you take it out off?
[/b][/quote]
in the 99 I had 19 front with 23 rear (not sure what gen it came out of)

with the 04 I have 24 front with 26 rear. came out of an 89 SHO

·
Registered
507 Posts
My 05 Sable has a rear sway bar and it came from the factory with one. Of course, my Sable went through the full gestation period and came out a Sable wagon, as the car was allowed to completely form into it's intended shape. While this process was happening the rear brakes went to their full completion as disc's with ABS and traction control. It is a shame that most Taurus and Sable cars were not allowed to go to term and become all that they could and should have been. And, while you are marveling at my factory installed rear sway bar check out that fully matured rear suspension that all Sable (and Taurus) wagons are endowed with.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
QUOTE (jndejure @ Jun 4 2010, 05:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809370
My 05 Sable has a rear sway bar and it came from the factory with one. Of course, my Sable went through the full gestation period and came out a Sable wagon, as the car was allowed to completely form into it's intended shape. While this process was happening the rear brakes went to their full completion as disc's with ABS and traction control. It is a shame that most Taurus and Sable cars were not allowed to go to term and become all that they could and should have been. And, while you are marveling at my factory installed rear sway bar check out that fully matured rear suspension that all Sable (and Taurus) wagons are endowed with.[/b]
:glare: OK. Now you're just rubbing salt in the wound.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm not totally familiar with the suspension on the Taurus or racing the Taurus, but I know on some cars, it is more effective to either have a smaller sway bar or no sway bar at all. Just playin' devil's advocate...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Sedans built after 12/03 for 04 MY had the rear sway bar deleted. Wagons retained it.

If you want to spruce your wagon up jndejure, get a Gen 1 wagon rear sway bar...its thicker.

·
Registered
131 Posts

you are correct my bull is an 05 SE and there is no sway bar and no tabs on the struts........

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks Bull Geek, I will check that out this week when I make my spring pilgrimage to the local junk yard. Miss Sable might like a little tighter rear end, as occasionally she likes to make a quicker than usual lane change or turn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts