Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power Steering quits working quits working when the engine is at idle and the car is not moving. It steers like a big truck without power steering. It makes it very difficult to get into and out of a parking spot. Standard Ford 3.0L V6 engine. 2002 SES. Noticed that the pressure line which is routed around the front of the engine by the front exhaust manifold has what appears to be a built in filter.
Testing the steering out of gear with about 1000 rpm, the power steering is ok. If the the idle speed is about 750 rpm, the power steering doesn't work. When the engine is cold and the idle speed is about 1000 rpm, the steering is ok.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There has been a defect in the high pressure lines. A lot of them are leaking at the rear crimps by the rack. I would bet that your problem is related to this defect or your belt is slipping. Either your line has deteriorated and is gummed up a bit or it has a leak and is sucking air just enough to affect the power aspect of your steering at idle. Mine was leaking just a bit so i had to buy one direct from plews edelman in Chicago. It was about $55 shipped. If it is leaking there I would have the system first cleaned and flushed using b-g products and then filled with synthetic fluid like amsoil transmission fluid.
Before you do all this I would double check your belts and install a new one. A loose or slipping belt that you might not even be able to detect could cause the same symptoms. remember that the deflection in a belt should be about a half inch. tighten accordingly.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/steering.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts