Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a 3,000 mile road trip, the GPS suddenly died. Found out it wasn't being charged because the cigar lighter quit 'working'.
It had kept the GPS charged on the outward bound part of our trip, but this failure took place sometime on the return home.
I checked the 10amp fuse under the dash, and it was NOT blown, but I did not have a test light. Is there another relay or breaker for the lighter?
Never heard of the lighter socket itself going bad. IS THAT POSSIBLE?
98 Taurus wagon.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Is the light still on in the tray? If not, then most likely the wire has somehow fell out and you need to remove the tray in order to hook the wire back up. It's not hard if you do it the right way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the lighter plug in my taurus but I have had that happen in other cars. There is also a fuse box or power distribution box, or whatever the correct name might be, under the hood. That's where I found the blown fuse.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't notice that there was a light in the tray before, as this is my sister's car. I'll have to look & check for a disconnected wire next time I'm at her house.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the same problem and never figured out why it wouldn't work. Eventually I ended up popping out the light in the tray and splicing my lighter into those wires, now my satellite radio turns on with my dash lights! :p

·
Registered
402 Posts
Your fuse is only 10a? Mine has a 20a and the only time I popped it was when I plugged a giant inverter into it.

edit - maybe it is a 10a I dunno i'd have to look

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have the same problem, no power from the cigar lighter, but the auxiliary power port below it is perfectly fine. Too lazy to find out why as I never power anything but my GPS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts