Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, a couple issues in my 1999 Taurus:

1) My tape deck began refusing tapes about 5 months ago. I can place the cassette in, but that is followed by some unusual noises and then eventual ejection.

2) I have a 6 CD changer in my trunk. It has been playing flawlessly. Halfway through a drive, it stopped playing music. Now, when I place the magazine into the slot, I see and hear my machine trying to read discs and sliding to all six slots before declaring "No CD" on my dash.

3) My antennae is resting in my trunk. I sometimes get NPR on my radio.

4) My heat sometimes comes on and will not turn off.

So my question is, would this appear to be an entire dashboard issue? If so, is this a real deal, serious, high cost fix? Are there any things I could try to attempt to bring my tape deck, CD Player, radio or heat back to life? Thanks for any feedback gentlemen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the electronic climate control and a power antenna?
Yes to the electronic climate control. It seems at some point ranging from every few days to every few weeks the temperature reading on the display will begin flickering a little and then eventually go black altogether, which will often be followed by the heat kicking into high gear. From there I must press the climate "off" button as frequently as I can until the dash responds. Sometimes it'll turn the heat off, but only temporarily.

Unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot about the antenna. I don't think it's a power antenna. It's been resting in my trunk since I bought the. I had to cover the hole where the antenna belongs with duct tape on the outside of my car. The fellow who sold me the car said the antenna would be a quick fix. I knew he might or might not be telling the truth. I never paid it much mind because I was more than satisfied with my other listening options (tape deck and CD Player) which have both seemed to bite the dust over time.

·
Registered
285 Posts
As an ex-Ford technician I can tell you It would be a lot cheaper to go with an aftermarket headunit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As an ex-Ford technician I can tell you It would be a lot cheaper to go with an aftermarket headunit.
I must admit my ignorance, but may I ask how difficult or costly it'd be to install a new head unit on my '99 Taurus? With the way my dash display is set up, it seems like it'd take a complicated procedure to complete since all my dash commands seem to be a part of the same entity.

Probably a foregone conclusion because you guys all know Tauruses better than I do, but this is how my dash looks except the climate control is digital.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
As far as I know, there are no aftermarket HU kits available for EATC systems...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If no aftermarket HU kits exist for my '99, might you guys have any other solutions? You have all been quite helpful and responsive so far. I appreciate that.

When it's mentioned that it'd be costly to have this all fixed, how costly might we be speaking?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Electrical troubleshooting on a vehicle can be quite time consuming and labor dollars pile up quickly. If you don't have troubleshooting skills yourself, you are at the mercy of whomever you can find to do the work. If it's friend or family, you might get lucky. You may want to consider looking for a junk yard EATC head unit that has been tested to be good. The "football" radio/climate module in any G3 is easy to remove and all the connections to it plug in.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try the EATC self test and report the code it spits out:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...-all-time-99-taurus-auto-climate-control.html

As for the dash kit, for '96-'99 you'd have to build a custom unit with fiberglass and the guts of the old unit. It's a bit overkill. The only dash kit for the electronic climate control is for '00 and newer.
I don't believe it gave me a code. It seemed to run its test, then spit out an "888". Unless that is the code itself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
First there is absolutely, positively, without a doubt, NO aftermarket HU kit for 96-99 EATC football units. Some have custom made them, but they are complicated if you have no fabrication skills and no electronic skills. But yours is not, so you can use one of these Metra kit or hit up a junkyard, pull a unit, swap it out and see if that might fix your problem. But if your heat comes on and won't shut off, it may be something else. Also, fixing your power antennae or any antennae is very easy. I bought my SHO with a retarded 2 foot aftermarket one that didn't even fit right. Bought one from someone here and installed it in less than 10 minutes.

*edit, just reread the post and saw the note that the pic is like it with eatc. so ignore the metra link.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First there is absolutely, positively, without a doubt, NO aftermarket HU kit for 96-99 EATC football units. Some have custom made them, but they are complicated if you have no fabrication skills and no electronic skills. But yours is not, so you can use one of these Metra kit or hit up a junkyard, pull a unit, swap it out and see if that might fix your problem. But if your heat comes on and won't shut off, it may be something else. Also, fixing your power antennae or any antennae is very easy. I bought my SHO with a retarded 2 foot aftermarket one that didn't even fit right. Bought one from someone here and installed it in less than 10 minutes.

*edit, just reread the post and saw the note that the pic is like it with eatc. so ignore the metra link.
Ha, cool. Glad to hear the good news regarding the antennae. I feel a little more comfortable about fixing it up now.

Also, regarding the music, I decided I'm going to hedge my bets and try to make it through my second summer with the random "power heat" problem. In terms of music, I found one of those iPod radio transmitters that actually works pretty darn medium well. It's just a cheap Maxwell one from Walgreens but for some reason it seems to be pretty solid - a little static in the back, but better than nothing.

You guys have been very helpful in trying to get to the bottom of my issue as well as providing alternatives to help in lieu of getting a dash overhaul. My brother recommended me to this site and I am glad he did. Thanks a lot, gentlemen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts