Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speedometer Automotive design Gauge Tachometer Mode of transport

Does anyone know why my car does this when I go to start it after its been cold. The dash lights don't come on. They will finally turn on after I have let it warm up for 15 minutes

·
Registered
36 Posts
My first guess is a failing headlight switch. I had a Dakota that used to do that when it was cold. Changed the switch and it fixed the issue.

Could also be a loose connection for the cluster but I lean towards the switch.

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
My first guess is a failing headlight switch. I had a Dakota that used to do that when it was cold. Changed the switch and it fixed the issue.

HL switch very easy to change out. Just pops out of the panel and un plugs. JY part will work for a check.
-chart-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It only does it when I get in and start it up after it's been cold for the night. And after I let it warm up for about 15 minutes. Then the dash lights will come on and the blinker lights will shut off

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Does your gauges bounce around at first. I had low battery voltage and that made the dash go into a self check mode and the gauges bounced and relays click. The turn signals do go through the headlight switch so my opinion is that is not your issue. It could also be the connection between the dash module and the main dash is not making the greatest connection when it is cold. Try banging on the gauge cluster and see it that helps. I believe one other person had issues with the body rotting out and messing up the grounding but if you don't have rust and it is temporary then that is most likely not your issue. You can put a battery charger on overnight and try to test it for low battery voltage,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does your gauges bounce around at first. I had low battery voltage and that made the dash go into a self check mode and the gauges bounced and relays click. The turn signals do go through the headlight switch so my opinion is that is not your issue. It could also be the connection between the dash module and the main dash is not making the greatest connection when it is cold. Try banging on the gauge cluster and see it that helps. I believe one other person had issues with the body rotting out and messing up the grounding but if you don't have rust and it is temporary then that is most likely not your issue. You can put a battery charger on overnight and try to test it for low battery voltage,
Nope I have a brand new battery and both of the terminal connectors are brand new.
When I go to start my car after it's been sitting in the cold over night and when I start it up both blinker lights are on and they stay on. And after about 15 minutes it's like boom and they come on. It only does this during the winter

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
I would try to reset the cluster into the dash connector. If you put the hazards on do they blink? That circuit would put two blinkers on at once. I am thinking it is related to the connector dash. Give the cluster a few bangs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts