Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 Taurus is having trouble with no heat, every position of the selector dial puts out cold air. Took to mechanic and he diagnosed the problem to be the temperature dial wasn't working. Bought a whole new unit with the radio and all the heater controls on ebay. Put the new unit in the dash and had wonderful heat, the next morning no heat again, it's doing the same as it was before, cold air on all settings. Is there something I'm missing. The cooling system is in good shape

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
99 Taurus is having trouble with no heat, every position of the selector dial puts out cold air. Took to mechanic and he diagnosed the problem to be the temperature dial wasn't working. Bought a whole new unit with the radio and all the heater controls on ebay. Put the new unit in the dash and had wonderful heat, the next morning no heat again, it's doing the same as it was before, cold air on all settings. Is there something I'm missing. The cooling system is in good shape
See posts about blend door motor.

Common failure.

U did not say if you had automatic or manual control
They are different.

Not difficult to replace.

-chart-

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sounds like your thermostat is sticking open. Better to stick open than in the closed position. Buy a new thermostat go to Ford for the thermostat, forget about NAPA, PEP BOYS et al, be sure and buy a Ford branded thermostat.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
No maybe the blend door is the next thing to check.
That would be the first thing I check. I'm actually going to replace mine tomorrow. The old one was faulty and the previous owner just removed the whole damn thing....... SMRT(yes..... purposely spelled wrong :p).

To test, take the blend door actuator off and turn the temp knob from cold to hot. If you dont see the actuator move, it's bad.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
On your 99, actuator is white, about the size of a deck of playing cards, right behind the radio. Slide radio out with din keys (ford radio removal tools) available at walmart or parts stores for ~$5. If blend door actuator is the culprit, theyre available at parts stores for ~$30-35.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Also make sure there are no vacuum lines unplugged on the actuator, junction block by the glove box, or under the hood along the firewall. Of course that would never happen to me.... ;)

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
^ No vacuum lines on the actuator. Elec. plug only. Remember, temp. control is elec. Vent (mode) selection is vacuum controlled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts