Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Taurus 3.0 flex fuel heat has suddenly stopped working. I have replaced the thermostat, check heater hoses which both top and bottom are hot, also checked the blend door and it is working. Any one with ideas please help!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
A possibility

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-...29385-writeup-clinton-gen-3-heater-flush.html

Assuming you have airflow, a dead giveaway is this: turn the heat off after engine has warmed up and continue driving a few miles. Then turn on heat. If you get a brief burst of heat, followed by more cold air, then you need to do the backflush described in the above article.

I have had to do this every winter for the past 3 years. If I had any brains, I'd re-plumb it without the bypass hose, because I believe that bypass hose is the root cause of this. My theory is, regardless of whether the heater core is actually clogged (mine never is), air builds up in the heater core because of cavitation caused by the greater flow through the bypass channel.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-...29385-writeup-clinton-gen-3-heater-flush.html

Assuming you have airflow, a dead giveaway is this: turn the heat off after engine has warmed up and continue driving a few miles. Then turn on heat. If you get a brief burst of heat, followed by more cold air, then you need to do the backflush described in the above article.

I have had to do this every winter for the past 3 years. If I had any brains, I'd re-plumb it without the bypass hose, because I believe that bypass hose is the root cause of this. My theory is, regardless of whether the heater core is actually clogged (mine never is), air builds up in the heater core because of cavitation caused by the greater flow through the bypass channel.
IF this were the case, pinching off the bypass while the engine is running should flush the air out of the core, no? The bypass hose is there for a reason, to bypass a clogged heater core and keep your Vulcan from overheating. The Vulcan coolant/heat design is a poor one in many aspects and they usually need annual flushing to remain in good working order. Not all clogging contaminants are big chunks of dark crud that you can see. My other questionn would be, how is air getting into your block to cause cavitation? The degasser reservoir (overflow bottle) is supposed to eliminate air from the system. Vulcans also naturally dissolve the vanes on their water pumps and cause poor coolant flow and poor heat in cold climates, which is a whole 'nother bitch of mine....
( I love my all aluminum Tec block, flush it every OTHER year...)
Here is a good link about Vulcan heat problems, especially the 2 PDF files in the first post:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=931709

·
Registered
8 Posts
This may seem to be a dumb thing to check for when you don't have heat....but I knew someone who didn't have heat, and it ended up being the temperature control knob. The metal tab inside the knob had stripped and turning it was doing nothing. The problem was solved by swapping an adjacent knob off the dash temporarily. Sounds simple to most of us, but this was the problem and the owner was unaware of what was going on.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
This may seem to be a dumb thing to check for when you don't have heat....but I knew someone who didn't have heat, and it ended up being the temperature control knob. The metal tab inside the knob had stripped and turning it was doing nothing. The problem was solved by swapping an adjacent knob off the dash temporarily. Sounds simple to most of us, but this was the problem and the owner was unaware of what was going on.
Funny how we tend to overlook the simple solutions...

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2000 Taurus 3.0 flex fuel heat has suddenly stopped working. I have replaced the thermostat, check heater hoses which both top and bottom are hot, also checked the blend door and it is working. Any one with ideas please help!!!
Check out my thread - http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/161473-2001-ford-taurus-no-heat-help-3.html

Both the hoses on mine were hot too, blend door worked (make sure you take cover off & see that it's hooked), but the heater core had a small leak so replaced that & HEAT!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Check the Topic Finder Heater core flush, then Check Water Pump

should be a few things in there that will point you in the right direction.

odds are its the waterpump. Taurus LOVEEE to eat water pumps :D

id personally flush it first. Pull the hose off the back of the heater core, and stick a cut of piece of garden hose on the inlet and let it drain off the outlet, or if your real lazy just unscrew the plug on the radiator and just flush it from the heatercore and have it drain out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. However, wisenhymer had the correct answer. I finally got a chance to flush the heater core per the Clinton Gen 3 heater flush. I have heat again. Again many thanks to all for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.