Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the wife picked up this really good deal through a friend that has been a money pit ( she doesn't listen to that friend anymore )> no heat at all the top heater core hose is cold and the lower one is hot. the control for the hot and cold doesn't move the vent box door. Also i haven't seen the fans rotate.:bs:
Any direction is much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
Do a search for: clinton heater flush and also blend door actuator. Might also check the topic finder. It and the search feature are at the top of this page. If unsuccessful and have to change out the heater core, theres a good: heater core shortcut video on youtube. You can also get some good written instructions by googling: macs-airsept. Click on the first (top) pdf and scroll down to heater core repair tips. Is the car overheating?

·
Registered
4 Posts
> no heat at all the top heater core hose is cold and the
> lower one is hot. the control for the hot and cold doesn't
> move the vent box door. Also i haven't seen the fans rotate.

You might have multiple issues.

As for the fans rotating, I presume you're referring to the cooling fans, not the heater blower. Let the engine idle until it heats up enough. Watch the temperature gauge. It will go up slowly and, at some point, drop a little. When it drops, your fan is running. If the fan fails to turn on, it will just get hotter and hotter, so be careful you don't let it overheat.

Regarding that one hose is hot and the other cold, I'd bet the heater core is clogged. Disconnect the other end of each hose, that is, disconnect both hoses at the engine end, not at the heater end. If you drain a 1/2 gallon of coolant out of the radiator first, there will be very little leakage when you disconnect the hoses. Hook up a garden hose to the side you called cold and you'll be reverse flushing the core. Let the hot end drain into a pail so you can examine what comes out. You'll likely find a bunch of crud at the bottom of the pail.

One more point: on my Taurus (2002) there's a short bypass hose between the heater input and output lines, so if the heater core clogs, the hot water bypasses the heater core altogether. If you have such an arrangement, you won't have much pressure on your heater core when you try to flush it since the water will just use the bypass line. Try therefore to block the bypass by pinching it with vicegrips, then turn on the garden hose and examine what comes out of the heater core.

You might have to let it flush for a while. A lot of rusty stuff comes out right away, but more little chunks will continue to come out now and then for a good long while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts