Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 ford taurus,that has no heat. The a/c works fine,blow reall cold air seems like its not mixing. Checked the knob that controls the mixing and its turning back and forth. Replaced the water pump. The coolant resevoir has been replaced 2 times in the past year. The last time i replaced the cap kept popping off so i put the old cap on,but it looks like the the cap has some kind of relief on it and it leaks out of the cap. Have to add coolant back in every day. I also flushed radiator few times. The first time it came out looking real brown with chunks in it. Seemed like it was working but went back to blowing cold air. Im going to try to find some door to open , i believe is on th blower to see if that works . I live in nc so it doesnt get real cold but my kids complain there cold. Every other weekthat i get the. Dont have alot of money to take to a shop.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Use search feature at the top of this page and search for: clinton heater flush. You might also check the topic finder and wiki at top of page also.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You have to flush you heater core. Use 'Clinton Flush' and wet & dry vac to suck the bottom of expansion tank. Worked on my Bull.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Was the cap cheap aftermarket discount parts store junk? If so, they often do that. Best to spend the $$ and get the Motorcraft tank and cap if you want the repair to last more than 6 months.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I bought the Balkamp coolant tank at NAPA for around $45 last January, so far so good. Don't know who actually made it, might be Dorman. It could explode tomorrow of course. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I bought the Balkamp coolant tank at NAPA for around $45 last January, so far so good. Don't know who actually made it, might be Dorman. It could explode tomorrow of course. ;)
Dorman - yeah I've got special feelings for that company. Seems to me like most of their **** is made in China. And it's ****. Try using some of their door panel clips. If they don't brake pressing in the panel its only a matter of time before the little nubs break off going over bumps in the road.

Either way you'll have a loose door panel making all kinds of noise in a couple of months. :angry:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first one I bought only lasted like 4 months. The sencond one has lasted a year so far. I do know it is a dorman , don't know much about the company ,so far do good. The cap has leaked yet , I don't know if it b/c I flushed h/c or not.

·
Registered
955 Posts
it would be nice for some one to make these coolant tank reservoirs out of something a little bit more durable, maybe aluminum? I've seen them aluminum for sports cars, like the Mustang. Usually chromed out to add some bling under the hood.

Is there a reason why they keep going with the high temp plastic? Is there a reason why an aftermarket company doesn't make a metal one? You would think that metal would last longer, so even if it's 3x the cost, it would be well worth the investment.

·
Registered
191 Posts
it would be nice for some one to make these coolant tank reservoirs out of something a little bit more durable, maybe aluminum? I've seen them aluminum for sports cars, like the Mustang. Usually chromed out to add some bling under the hood.

Is there a reason why they keep going with the high temp plastic? Is there a reason why an aftermarket company doesn't make a metal one? You would think that metal would last longer, so even if it's 3x the cost, it would be well worth the investment.
And how would companies make money if you will buy only one tank instead of three?:huh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts