Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 ford taurus. FIrst off this is my first post. I think its cool that theres a forum for the tortoise. Anywho. Im tired of freezing in the mornings on the way to work. My heat does not blow hot at all. It blows freexing cold air when its cold outside and regular ambient temp air when its warm out. Ive read up on flushing the heater core, im gonna attempt it this weekend. WHat kind of time should i expect it to take? Also, ive read about a blend door possibly not working, will i hear a noise of some sort when attempting to turn on the heater now if it is working? HOw can i check it to eliminate it from the equation. Thanks so much. Feel free to give advise or comments. Have a great morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, what is the best off the shelf cooling system flush agent? and should i get one of those 4 dollar flush kits with the valves that you install in the lines from walmart? Are they useful with the taurus?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I've never used the Walmart kits. When we do flushes at the shop, we just put a plain old flush T in one of the heater hoses. As for flushing the heater core itself, if you're just doing that, you should be able to have it done in under an hour. If you wanna do a whole flush, it could take an hour and a half or so, depending on how quickly you can work.

As for the blend door working, the easiest way to check initially is to turn the key on without starting the engine, turn the fan on high, and turn the temp knob all the way one way. Wait for a few seconds, then turn it all the way the other way, and listen closely. If the blend door moves, you'll hear a change in the way the air sounds coming from the vents as it is re-routed thru or around the heater core. If you can't hear anything, the next step would be to remove the radio head, if you have the tools. Behind it, mounted to the air plenum, is the blend door actuator - small rectangular box about 3x4" roughly. When you pop the control head out, leave the wiring hooked up, and with the key on, turn the temp knob from full hot to full cold. Watch the actuator. You'll see a small round spot on it that is actually the end of the actuator rod that moves the blend door. You should see it move as you turn the knob. Its full range of motion is only about a quarter turn, so don't expect it to turn a lot. If it moves, and doesn't skip, then the actuator and all the wiring are fine. It's possible that the blend door itself is broken, but it's a lot of work to get it apart to check, so you should start by flushing the heater core. Oh ya - you can check for the heater core being plugged by getting the engine heated up, then feeling the heater hoses where the come out of the firewall. If the heater core is ok, both hoses will be warm/hot. If one hose is noticeably cooler than the other, then the heater core is plugged.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts