Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 1998 Taurus with 169,585 miles runs like a champ. A champ with no heat that us. I got the car for free from a guy a work who said the only problem is the heat doesn't work. So I flushed it out for 5 hours yesterday after reading a write up on here about the backflush and used a prestone backflush kit. I ran water through every orfice and blew air and shop vac'd others. Even replaced the pressurized resevior. Needless to say I had clean water flowing everywhere I could. On anither note i think this was the first flush of its life so 5 hours is no lie it took forever to see clear water. Hook it all back up and all hoses in the engine bay are hot and car is running great at normal temp. It is about 68 degrees today but my vents are blowing air out at almost 30 degrees according to my thermometer. I have it on high on max heat blowing on feet and vent it is not set on max a/c but it sure feels like it. All signs point to a bad selector now. But this is my first Taurus so I'm hoping for some good feedback thank you!

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
So I have a 1998 Taurus with 169,585 miles runs like a champ. A champ with no heat that us. I got the car for free from a guy a work who said the only problem is the heat doesn't work. So I flushed it out for 5 hours yesterday after reading a write up on here about the backflush and used a prestone backflush kit. I ran water through every orfice and blew air and shop vac'd others. Even replaced the pressurized resevior. Needless to say I had clean water flowing everywhere I could. On anither note i think this was the first flush of its life so 5 hours is no lie it took forever to see clear water. Hook it all back up and all hoses in the engine bay are hot and car is running great at normal temp. It is about 68 degrees today but my vents are blowing air out at almost 30 degrees according to my thermometer. I have it on high on max heat blowing on feet and vent it is not set on max a/c but it sure feels like it. All signs point to a bad selector now. But this is my first Taurus so I'm hoping for some good feedback thank you!
Read threads about blend door motor.
That little elect motor adjusts the temperature.

See pic but this is AutoTemcontrol. Manual tem motor is white so I understand. It is behind and to the left of the glove box. Open the glove box, remove contents, squeeze the sides and it folds down and you can see behind it.

The shaft with the little square hole turns 90 degrees from hot to cold as you move your temp setting.

It either moves or not.

-chart-

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I can't see the white peg with a square hole like in the picture but with the key on and when I turn the heat vitriol I can hear a little little running then clicking and a thud. Is that an indication I need to replace?

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
Easier to pull the radio with din keys on a 98 to see/service blend door actuator unless he has eatc (auto climate control).

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
I need to read and type faster, lol! Yes, if youre hearing clicking and thumping while adjusting the temp. control, you need to replace the blend door actuator due to plastic gear teeth broken off inside the case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I pulled the radio and I can see the square peg moving and an arm that raises and lowers just behind it. I still hear noises while its running the clicking and thumping but I can verify that it is moving.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Okay I pulled the radio and I can see the square peg moving and an arm that raises and lowers just behind it. I still hear noises while its running the clicking and thumping but I can verify that it is moving.

The only noise it should make is a very low volume whirrrr. End to end maybe 12 seconds stop to stop, No other noise. Other noises are the broken gear. FAILED.

-chart-

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My main worry here is that the air coming from my vents was 30 degrees and its about 70 degrees here today. So if the blend door was just not moving what would explain the air cooling 40 degrees instead of just being similar to the outside temp?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
The blend door actuator is keyed. The picture you saw does not show this keyed peg well. Anyway your car has the right amount of age + mileage for this item to go bad. I replaced mine about 2-years ago. This is a known issue on the Taurus's and Sables.

When installing the new actuator verify the keyed peg it is in the same position as the old one.

As I recall correctly I had to completely remove my glove box to install mine.

Monsoon

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
They usually fail on the cold setting meaning no heat. Prior installation, probably need to plug in the new one and adjust temp. control to align the peg like the failed one. If you need the manual one, theyre available aftermarket at most parts stores for ~$30-40. Iirc, the atc one is not for the taurus/sable.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
They usually fail on the cold setting meaning no heat.
Mine failed on the hot setting, all the way to the right. And man did it suck !

Monsoon

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
My main worry here is that the air coming from my vents was 30 degrees and its about 70 degrees here today. So if the blend door was just not moving what would explain the air cooling 40 degrees instead of just being similar to the outside temp?
Cooling is likely the AC is running. Heat and AC are on at the same time. Heat is always on. AC on for defrost and other settings. The blend door does just that, blends the AC cold with Hot Water hot to give you a nice temperature.

Somehow from posts here, they nearly always fail to the cold side. Likely some mechanical thing that causes the gear to break on that end of travel.

And for future diag. Look for easy to check things first. The blend door is maybe 10 minutes and no tools required.

CHECK EASY THINGS FIRST!:lol2:

And you might guess, I once taught this stuff in high school!

One learns by mistakes! Sometimes it takes more than once!

-chart-

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cooling is likely the AC is running. Heat and AC are on at the same time. Heat is always on. AC on for defrost and other settings. The blend door does just that, blends the AC cold with Hot Water hot to give you a nice temperature.

Somehow from posts here, they nearly always fail to the cold side. Likely some mechanical thing that causes the gear to break on that end of travel.

And for future diag. Look for easy to check things first. The blend door is maybe 10 minutes and no tools required.

CHECK EASY THINGS FIRST!:lol2:

And you might guess, I once taught this stuff in high school!

One learns by mistakes! Sometimes it takes more than once!

-chart-
Yup yup lol!

I have a 96' and am having the sameeeee problem (almost 190k miles).
Is it the same for a 96', pull the radio and check it...or pull the glove box?

To TheNewGuy, keep us posted on what you find. Ive got to fix mine too and from what ive read, blend door is the first thing to check and is what i'll be doing next.

Also, hit your local library, they usually carry manuals on lots of cars (except the taurus ones are checked out often, IMAGINE THAT!) But they do help...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts