Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little background About a month ago my 97 vulcan was overheating at idle, turned the heater on and no heat. Had the thermostat replaced and fixed the problem of the overheating. Now the heater blows cool to warm when idling, then blows hot when engine rpm is increased. Idles when in drive is about 700 and heater blows out cool and when in park it is closer to 1000 and comes out warm not hot. Any idea what the problem could be?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to say i had the coolant flushed when the thermostat was changed. What is the bypass kit?

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by atrib@Aug 31 2004, 08:26 PM
Forgot to say i had the coolant flushed when the thermostat was changed. What is the bypass kit?
If they didn't backflush it as well, and flush the heater core separately, this is why you're not getting any heat. The heater core can sometimes get plugged up pretty solid, and needs to be flushed separately.

The bypass kit was not installed from the factory, and is one of the causes for the brown coolant issue in the Vulcan 96-99 cars. The bypass hose runs from the heater hose off the water pump to the heater hose on the lower intake. It basically keeps fluid flowing in the event of heater core obstruction. There was a TSB about it, and a silent recall years ago for first owners, however it's easy enough to install yourself using 3/4" heater hose and some tees.

I can't stress enough the importance of backflushing, and flushing the heater core separately.

Also, the bypass hose is extremely important. I lost an engine due to head gasket failure because it was never done to my 97.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bob I have the same problem with our 98 Taurus SE 3.0 OHC however there is no warm air at all regardless if it's parked or being driven. There was no sign of overheating but I changed the Thermostat anyway. Didnt make any difference. Engine runs cool just no heat in the interior. :(

Coolant was brown and rusty. Sounds like this may need to be flushed/backflushed as well. I tried clicking on the link that you included in this article however all it does is take me to some index page. Could you copy and past the instructions in a reply. Also I would like more information about the bypass kit. Is this something I do by purchasing a kit at Autozone or can I buy what I need in heater hose and Tees to accomplish this myself?

Thanks in Advance.

Eric Spurlock

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wanted to give an update just incase someone else has this problem in the future. Luckly it was not the heater core but I still had that flushed and backflushed. It was the water pump, all the fins were eroded off so it was not circulating any water.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais+Aug 31 2004, 08:32 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bob Gervais @ Aug 31 2004, 08:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-atrib@Aug 31 2004, 08:26 PM
Forgot to say i had the coolant flushed when the thermostat was changed.  What is the bypass kit?
If they didn't backflush it as well, and flush the heater core separately, this is why you're not getting any heat. The heater core can sometimes get plugged up pretty solid, and needs to be flushed separately.

The bypass kit was not installed from the factory, and is one of the causes for the brown coolant issue in the Vulcan 96-99 cars. The bypass hose runs from the heater hose off the water pump to the heater hose on the lower intake. It basically keeps fluid flowing in the event of heater core obstruction. There was a TSB about it, and a silent recall years ago for first owners, however it's easy enough to install yourself using 3/4" heater hose and some tees.

I can't stress enough the importance of backflushing, and flushing the heater core separately.

Also, the bypass hose is extremely important. I lost an engine due to head gasket failure because it was never done to my 97. [/b][/quote]
So that is what the picture is in your Sig. I knew what it all was but couldn't figure out why you would do that but now it makes sense

·
Registered
222 Posts
Originally posted by atrib@Nov 18 2004, 09:03 PM
Wanted to give an update just incase someone else has this problem in the future.  Luckly it was not the heater core but I still had that flushed and backflushed.  It was the water pump, all the fins were eroded off so it was not circulating any water.
rusted out water pump fines looked something like that? those tin mites love water pump fins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts