Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my uncle's car, a 99 Taurus SE 3.0DOHC, the headlights don't work at all. His side markers and accessory lights do work. He doesn't know if his car has DRLs or not. Everything I've read leads me to believe its the DRL control module. I've checked all the fuses, my uncle replaced control switch that's in the dashboard. Using a volt meter I tested the connections where the headlight bulb plugs into wiring harness, no power there. If its not the DRL, the MFS is the only other thing I can think of. Any ideas, or ideas on how to determine which of the two are the problem?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
It's the MFS. A bad DRL module wouldn't prevent the low beams from coming on since it pulses the high beam filament.

·
Registered
834 Posts
QUOTE (joshskijam @ Apr 9 2009, 11:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=716648
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Apr 9 2009, 11:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=716639
It's the MFS. A bad DRL module wouldn't prevent the low beams from coming on since it pulses the high beam filament.[/b]
So does it need to be replaced? Or is it something that can be cleaned/etc?
[/b][/quote]

This is the "Topic Finder" link... http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54467 ... Scroll to the very bottom of it....The MFS info is there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

I had my uncle drive to my house so I could test the mfs and when he got here, the lights were working. My guess is there is a short due to condensation, since it usually stops working early in the morning more often than any other time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, this car is haunted. The lights stopped working again. I think I might of found the problem. In the Fuse box under the hood, at fuse 15(DRL) i'm not detecting any power either w/ the headlight switch on or off. Is that normal, I assume its not. Where would I find the problem that is causing no power there and at the headlights themselves. Thanks....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Apr 15 2009, 11:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=717885
Here are the wire diagram for the headlights. Pretty simple circuit actually.[/b]

None of that makes sense to me. Fuse 15 is in the battery junction box. And if I put my voltage meter in place of fuse 15, I don't get a reading of any power. I don't know how to trace that one back to the next logical place for a problem.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If you have no power to the fuse in the box under the hood then that is where the problem is. This should be hot all the time.

Do the dash/radio lights come on with the headlight switch?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Apr 15 2009, 02:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=717930
If you have no power to the fuse in the box under the hood then that is where the problem is. This should be hot all the time.

Do the dash/radio lights come on with the headlight switch?[/b]

The dash lights go on once you get to the parking spot on the switch. Sometimes when the headlights aren't working, the dash lights don't work. Today the dash lights were working yet the headlights still weren't working.

I know that it should be hot all the time, but I don't know where the problem is. Is it a bad wire, module, switch, etc?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the dash light work at all then the wiring to the headlight switch is good. You probably need a new headlight switch.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
So is the headlight switch putting out 12V to the headlight ciruit when the switch is turned on to that position? It is just a matter of going down the wire diagram with your voltmeter.

After the switch the power then goes to the MFS then the interior fuse box then to the headlamps.

Does the flash to pass turn on the brights?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Then the problem is between the headlamp switch and the MFS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts