Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after still fighting with cooling issues I thought I might be brave and try an electric water pump. I saw these posted over at customcougars. It was the EWP water pump with the separate temperature controller. I ended up not getting it from the site cuz the operator would not reply to my emails or calls. So I ended up getting it some other place.

well after two days of rigging this thing up and making some custom fitting hoses out of luckily my previous set of old hoses I had replaced. I finally got this thing all hooked up and water tight. Well it seemed to be working fine at idle and even reving it. I had tested it for about a 1/2 hour letting the engine warm up and it seemed like it was going to be my godsend becuase it kept my temp low and at a fairly static level. Well once I took it on the road it was a different story. I had turned the settings set to run the coolest and the temperature started to rise while driving at around 30 mph. Once I came to a stop the temperature starting dropping. I thought that was odd, I normally ran into the opposite where the engine cools down when driving and generally rising at idle(with the AC on, it was 106 yesterday). Well according to me temp gauge(which I question) its running hotter than before. At least from a measuring stand point the stock water pump works for the most part better. The little extra HP felt nice, but if this thing can't keep the engine cool then its worthless.

Now Im gonna try to take some pictures and post them soon and maybe see if Im doing something really stupid like perhaps the water flow I have is backwards. I assumed the flow goes toward the front of the engine. (explanation, the duratec water pump has two smaller ports and one bigger port pointing to the front) I assumed the bigger port was the outlet and the two smaller were the inlet.
Post some comments if you have some idea's. I thought this thing was supposed to flow up to 1300 gallons per hour, at this time i doubt it. Some things I do question are am I getting the flow rate Im supposed to? 1300 gallons per hour or approx 21 gallons per minute it doesn't sound like it. I have it hooked up to battery? perhaps the amperage is limited on the battery fuse?
I have a 200 amp alternator in the car which should supply enough juice.
Maybe air in the lines? throw out ideas please. Im about to yank this out and put back in the stock water pump probably either this weekend or next week. either case probably very soon.

update:
My bad it was 1300 gallons per hour not minute. Was posting late was thinking straight. I'll post some pictures beware of the size.
Thanks
Levi

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't think it can flow that much water in a minute. 1300 gallons is a LOT of water. I can't imagine a pump that has 1 or 2 inch hoses flowing 21 gallons per second. That's a very large dimension of water. If that was the case, you'd be cycling your entire cooling system one and a half times per second.

I definitely want to see pictures of your setup though.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
well, if the temp gauge is actually correct, it sounds like it's just running too slow. does it always run at a constant speed, or is it variable based on temp? i would think they'd make it variable, but i don't really know much about ewp's. 1300gal/m? is that even possible with the size of our hoses? i think you're inlet/outlet config is right, because the area of the two smaller hoses, combined, is still smaller than the area of the big hose, at least i think it is..i could be wrong.

this isn't exactly the same, but i work at a pool place, and we make pumps which also just so happen to push water through...our smaller pumps, which are still pretty much bigger than an ewp, doesn't push out near 1300gal/m. i can get some #'s today if i remember, though

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
to make sure you are pushing the water the right way look at the direction the normal pump spins i would think the water would be pushed to the smaller side so the water become presurized but i can be wrong.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's not a 1300 gpm pump. That would blow your hoses off in short order and you would need earplugs within 10 feet of it. :)

I use a relatively big pump for my intercooler and it's only 4.6gpm.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by SHOMAN@Sep 3 2004, 10:31 AM
If it pumps too fast, water not in radiator long enough to cool, will run hot, think about it
You're right...didn't even think about that. Just because the water is moving fast and cycling fast, it doesn't mean that it's being cooled properly.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
i wonder if it was 1300mL/min? wait, that doesn't make sense..

maybe 1.3milligallons? :D

1.3gal/min doesn't seem that far off from a possibility, considering mikey's pump size

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
If it pumps too fast, water not in radiator long enough to cool, will run hot, think about it
You start driving faster...you create more heat....air created by driving cools the radiator... You drive and your temperature rises..sounds like the fluid isnt getting a chance to be cooled. Revving your engine isnt as stressful as driving...and you only hit 3 grand before the rev limiter anyways.... thus not running hot in the driveway. :huh:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Heh - was sneaking a quick forum peek at work - didn't do the math. ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok Im an idiot, the water flow I have appears to be flowing backwards.
I remember sitting down and thinking about this and planning it out, but I guess I wasn't thinking straight. I tried looking up the flow direction in the manuals but I based my decision off which port I found the impeller off of. I didn't stop and think hey these port sizes should match up and the largest port should be the outflow.
And lastly to confirm it, last time I looked I was looking for a marker or indicator which way the flow went. Well when I looked at it before I didn't see anything, this time I see a little triangle showing the flow. Must have been the 106 degree weather. I'll keep you guys posted, I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Well despite the flow being backwards it kept the temp normal at idle, but not the best while running. Maybe there is hope.

Levi

1 - 20 of 26 Posts