Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Mercury Sable 3.0 liter Duratec engine. Runs great until when it stopped suddenly. I just filled the cars gas tank and drove one block and it quit. After checking it out, I have spark at the plugs but no fuel at the fuel rail. The 20A fuse in the power dist. box checks out, and I swapped the relays as suggested in the Hanes repair manual and still no fuel. I can't hear the pump come on with the ignition, even if I take the gas cap off and listen at the tank. Battery has been replaced and connections cleaned. I have been having problems over the past month with the battery losing power if the car sat for three or four days. The inertia switch in the trunk is good, but for some reason, I only have 7 volts coming into the switch, on the green/yellow striped wire. When I put 12 volts to the pink/black striped wiring leaving the switch (to the pump?) it sparks like I'm touching ground....any ideas??? I'm stumped!!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
bad fuel pump??? if you turn the keyand dont hear the pump and you have power to the pump my guess is the pump is bad

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe the fuel pump is shorted out if it sparks like that. I personally think that the pump's bad. Check to see what the voltage is supposed to be on that wiring, if there's supposed to be 12 look at the condition up as far as you can go, because there has to be resistance somewhere. If you can get power directly to the pump and know someplace that has an occiliscope (Snap-On Modis for example) they can check the frequency if its running and tell you if the pump has gaps. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
54 Posts
put me down for a bad fuel pump as well. if you are getting power to the pump, then the pump itself is bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts