Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hope I am posting this properly my friend has a 2001 ford Taurus and today after stopping at a light the car would not move forward in any drive gear, though it would move in reverse. Any input to weather this is an expensive repair or some thing simple all comments would be appreciated. the problem happened at 5 pm today Saturday so it seemed the obvious tow was to AAMCO for a free evaluation. Thanks in advance.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
What ever you do, DO NOT let Aamco "fix" the car. Take it to an independent shop.

·
Registered
442 Posts
hope I am posting this properly my friend has a 2001 ford Taurus and today after stopping at a light the car would not move forward in any drive gear, though it would move in reverse. Any input to weather this is an expensive repair or some thing simple all comments would be appreciated. the problem happened at 5 pm today Saturday so it seemed the obvious tow was to AAMCO for a free evaluation. Thanks in advance.
Usually when there is no movement it is due to stripped pump drive splines in the torque converter, which can be expensive to access($1000+). However, since the car moves in reverse and not in drive makes me think it is electrical or maybe a stuck valve. Are there any codes? On the AX4N, or 4F50N, if you disconnect the electrical connector on the transmission range switch(on the actual transmission), the car should hydraulically go into 2nd gear without electrical input if you put it into "D". Maybe try testing that way. Check fluid levels, if the pump is not running, the fluid level will appear high. If it is a stuck valve, try changing out the fluid and adding some Lubegard(green or platinum) and some lucas transmission fix. If it is a good AAMCO place, they should be able to figure this out better. Edit: According to above post, AAMCO maybe won't be able to figure this out.

·
Super Moderator
7,806 Posts
If it moves in reverse, the problem is NOT the pump, pump shaft, or stripped converter splines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AAMCO today says the free check is for fluids. I said another AAMCO offered complete analysis at no charge. so they later called saying it needed a complete trans rebuild at $2,200. with a one year warranty which is the same price I got from other AAMCO'S. I called around a found a trans shop in Boston. who says the complete trans rebuild would cost $1,200. plus tax one year unlimited mileage. it seems too good to be true but they claim 50 years in business and ten lifts. it seems if I get the quote in writing then its the way to go. any thoughts

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
Go with the independent shop, though you may check online first to see if there are reviews. I would have the independent shop diagnose it first, though.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had a similar transmission issue 9 months ago on my 03 Duratec. My car was parked at the store for about 15 minutes and running while I waited for my wife to grab something. When we were ready to go I put the car in reverse and back out. Then put her in D and nothing. Tried all gears including reverse and nada. Engine was fine but no gears at all.

I had a few quotes that were all in the $2000-$2500 range for a rebuild or rebuild swap. I ended up finding a small shop that was recommended from a friend. He only does transmissions and over the phone told me if it needs to be rebuilt it would be $1100. Of course he said don't trust all these other shops that are telling you it's a 12+ hour job.

I was in a tight spot so I had it towed to him. He said it had to be rebuilt so that's what they did. He called me the next day and told me it was done but he had to replace the TC as well and it was another $200. Hardly in a position to argue I accepted that and all has been fine since. I've put on close to 20K miles on her without a hiccup.

Although, I can't help but wonder if all I needed was a TC?

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
Often all you need is a torque converter, especially on a 2003 or later. That's one reason why AAMCO isn't recommended, they always just say "derp rebuild". And like any chair shop they're only as good as the mechanic who's there at the time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
257 Posts
Any clue what shop costs on replacing a TC are? I can't imagine it's less than $1000. If that's the case I didn't get hurt to bad. All these places know they've got you. The average DIY'er isn't going to tackle a transmission job.

I had one shop tell me they had to drop the engine to pull the tranny? Not sure if that's true or not?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Some places pull the engine, transaxle and sub frame as an assembly.
It's possible to support the engine and pull just the sub frame and transaxle. I did this and didn't have to disconnect all of the wiring, fuel lines, cooling hoses, etc.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The only thing GM got right was the split subframe so you can drop the trans a HECK of a lot easier. They also didn't screw the channel plate from the torque converter side. So you can remove a FWD valve body and channel plate in the car :)

Won't be buying a GM though, the negatives out way the two positives.

And yes the torque converters in 2003+ seem to have a tendency to strip out the splines since Ford didn't put much of any splinige (sp) in the converter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts