Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the fourms and the loving taurus i own... lol...
so ive had the car for about 3 months, so far as cost me more in the garage then the car is honestly worth...

today, driving to the store, brake petal goes to the floor and hard time stopping.. now i drove it home and parked it and had to leave for a meeting right away...

seems to be leaking right in front of the drivers side rear wheel.. maybe 6" to a foot in front, at a quick glance... didnt really have time to take a close look..

just wondering what kinda brake lines run right in that area? im think it may have rusted threw? the car sat for about a year prior to me buying it...

when it stops raining i may crawl under and take a closer look to what problem i have on my hands...

hopefully this wont empty my wallet

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
took a second look at the situation, seems to be leaking right around the line with the spring...
from the looks of it, there are two lines running close to one another.. not sure if its the line with the spring or the one above it... kinda hard to push the brakes and see where it leaking by yourself lol...

is there any diagrams or such that would have some sort of detailed pictures, or something of the sort that i could look at???

or maybe someone else has had to replace a line in the general area?

just trying to get a feel for what i need to get into, before it stops raining and i tear into it.

any kind of help what so ever would be great

thanks

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Time for brake lines since Ford only coated 25% of the lines (bozos). IIRC the dealer sells new lines.

·
Registered
200 Posts
or maybe someone else has had to replace a line in the general area?
thanks
On my 96 Sable my brake line rusted out in that same area, at pretty much the same age as your vehicle.

I would replace both lines running from the firewall to the driver side rear wheel. This part of the brake lines were not coated on my vehicle and is located on the lowest part of the vehicle that is exposed to all the salt in the winters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah just my luck.. any idea what this would cost at a garage to get done? ball park figure?

im thinking this isnt something i can do in my back yard? is there any kind of DIY thred?
thanks for the help

·
Registered
61 Posts
ah just my luck.. any idea what this would cost at a garage to get done? ball park figure?

im thinking this isnt something i can do in my back yard? is there any kind of DIY thred?
thanks for the help
if its just the rubber line then your easily able to do it, theres about 4 bolts u un do and just take off the metal peice if the bolt on the metal tubing is too rusted to spin freely just spin the whole brake line off of that then spin the new one on and tighten the bolt after, a new line is about 30 bucks a peice

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unfortunately its not the rubber line... as i checked into it a little more this evening, its above the rubber lines, looks like the metal lines above all need replaced... just peachy

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
unfortunately its not the rubber line... as i checked into it a little more this evening, its above the rubber lines, looks like the metal lines above all need replaced... just peachy
Where are you in the Northeast? I can fabricate steel tube lines while drinking beer no problem. Cost me $28 for 40' of bulk line to do both rear lines front-to-back. Good tubing benders and a flare tool are worth the money for what you save DIY.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts