Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. This forum has been a great help to me, and I wish to pass on some info I posted at ford forums:

http://www.fordforums.com/f138/no-airflow-vents-172840/

The text of that post follows, but I recommend viewing the original thread because it contains a vacuum schematic for all of the vacuum-driven flaps inside the heater plenum.

The symptom:

I had just replaced the blower motor and had no airflow from vents. Checked cabin filter, and it was clogged, but still no airflow after dealing with that.

The fix:

The blower motor wiring was reversed. It hit me in the middle of the night that the blower might be running backwards. So I pulled it out and checked whether it was turning the right way to get air through the vents. It wasn't.

It came that way from Auto Zone. This was the less expensive model, "Continental part number PM3923", with the connector on a pigtail. It was easy to reverse the pins on this connector.

I was able to pull the oval shaped red rubber holder out of the connector shell from the pin side, then used the small screwdriver on my leatherman to release the retaining finger (towards the middle) on each pin. I then had to re-bend the retaining fingers since they were now flat, and put them back into the shell in the opposite order. Inserted pins until I heard the click of the retaining finger and verified they couldn't back out. Then I just pushed the rubber holder back in, connected it up, mounted it, and *presto*, I had air flow.

The way it was originally wired, I had a blower to exhaust heat (or cooling) from the vehicle!! :lol2: That's why the airflow felt weak; it was drawing air into the vents rather than pushing it out!

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Ive ran into that when wiring an az replacement blower motor, but the motor i bought had no connector, had to be spliced. Simply reversed the 2 wires. Wouldve have been easier if i would have caught it before reinstallation, lol! Also noticed az motor doesnt seem as powerful (forceful) as oem?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive ran into that when wiring an az replacement blower motor, but the motor i bought had no connector, had to be spliced. Simply reversed the 2 wires. Wouldve have been easier if i would have caught it before reinstallation, lol! Also noticed az motor doesnt seem as powerful (forceful) as oem?
Not sure if it's weaker or not. Now that I have the cabin filter cleaned and a new blower, I'm getting so much airflow that I can hear something being sucked into the fan blades when it's on heat. Probably a piece of foam coming unglued on the intake recirculate flaps. So I'll be taking it apart again tomorrow to judiciously apply some duct tape...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts