Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I recently developed an interesting issue in my 06 Taurus. With the AC running (manual control) when driving up-hill, the blower fan stops pushing air out of the vents. There is still noise being made, but no air-flow. I have tried messing with the speed and air-flow direction knobs while it's out but it doesn't have any effect on bringing it back (so I can probably rule out the speed resistor I replaced last year). After being back on level ground for a few seconds the air flow comes back and works as normal. What could possibly be causing this? Could the blower fan motor being going bad? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Not sure but could it be vacuum related? Maybe you've got a cracked or loose vacuum line and when going uphill you might lose some engine vacuum and it's affecting the blend door position? I don't know, just tossing out what first came to mind.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
Yup, definitely a vacuum issue. With the engine under heavy load, vacuum drops way down so the vac operated mode doors dont work. Probable vac line fell off the vac storage can inside the pass side fender or the vac check valve has failed or vac hose came off the check valve. Easy fix.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
Default for the HVAC with no vacuum to the mode door actuators is defrost. As I said above, should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
22,587 Posts
Locate the small black plastic vacuum junction box mounted on the drivers firewall above the brake master cylinder. Locate the hose marked "A/C" that runs clipped to the windshield cowling over to the passenger firewall where it reduces and tees at an inline vac. check valve. Small hard black line runs through the pass. firewall to a vac. plug mounted behind the black plastic kick shield below the glovebox. Should be some other colored lines connected to the vac. plug also (white, red, blue, yellow, etc.). The whitish line coming off the underhood inline vac. check valve runs inside the pass. fender to a vac. reservoir (black plastic ball or box). Check all of these underhood lines for breaks/damage.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Hi. I recently developed an interesting issue in my 06 Taurus. With the AC running (manual control) when driving up-hill, the blower fan stops pushing air out of the vents. There is still noise being made, but no air-flow. I have tried messing with the speed and air-flow direction knobs while it's out but it doesn't have any effect on bringing it back (so I can probably rule out the speed resistor I replaced last year). After being back on level ground for a few seconds the air flow comes back and works as normal. What could possibly be causing this? Could the blower fan motor being going bad? Thanks for any input.

the best way to trouble shoot this is buy a portable handheld vacuum pump with a gauge on it. You have a

vacuum leak somewhere. my 93 once had a leaking vacuum motor on one of the HVAC vent controls that
leaked.

bob

·
Registered
53 Posts
As others have said, and I agree with, it is most likely a Vacuum leak. Given all the other problems in the world, this is not the worst. I've had the 'air only blows on windshield issue on two taurus, so I was able to figure it out on my second one. Under the hood, passenger side there is a small vacuum union where a few lines meet up and one connects to the mixer coming out of the firewall. The heat of daily use makes all plastics and rubber brittle and develop cracks, so follow the hose from the firewall out. One time I touched it and make the crack bigger, it was so brittle-- making it easier to find/fix--

Currently I have your exact problem-- when I step on gas hard, I notice my AC drops for a few moments. Knowing all I said above, I live with it as a small issue that doesn't happen enough to make it worth all the hassle of finding it (yet)-- Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
^^^^^ Do you mean air flow reverts to the defrost vents or air briefly warms up? AC compressor will cut out at or near WOT. Every car I have seen made in the last 35 years does this so you get max engine power to the wheels under WOT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts