Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was looking to "smoke" my taillights. i know to use vht, as well as some clear paint. What im curious on is how many coats would be best? I'm looking to darken them so they dont clash as much with my body color.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
You can also use window tint and choose the darkness you want.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I wouldn't use window tint to tint my taillights. They actually make a vinal tint that is made for taillights and is more durable. Anyways back to the question. Two to three thin coats should look nice. It'll look black from a distance and a dark red/black up close. With only two or three coats you can also see the brake lights quite clearly in the day as well. And when putting the clear acrylic on if you have problems with orange peel like I did in the clear, I would recommend four good coats of clear at least. That way you have a little room to play for wet sanding. You can use 2000 grit to carefully wetsand out the orange peel or dust that lands in the clear. Then once it's smooth use some 3M rubbing compound and gently rub it till the shine returns. Sometimes you'll have to go over it a couple times before the shine returns. Then rub it out with a good cleaner wax like mothers or meguiars and you'll have a shine to be proud of.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Yes, yes, yes, you will need to do the 2000 grit sandpaper and the clear coat, but you also have to concentrate on the "nite shading" itself... The first time you go to use it, you'll spray a bit and say "whoa, this isn't dark at all!" So then you'll spray more but it will start to run and get gloppy... Then you will spray more to hide the runs and they will be so dark that you can't even see them when the lights are on!

My Nite Shading advice to you is do VERY light coats. Literally, get your taillight set up so you can spray the entire thing and then let it dry afterwards without moving it... Do the first coat extremely fine. Hold the can back about 9 inches and just go back and forth up and down until the entire light is covered with a very light coating. Resist the temptation to go back and touch up the spots you missed! Let the light dry for about 20 minutes, go back and do another very fine second coat. Keep repeating this until you get the darkness you want. I wouldn't reccomend doing more than 3 coats. Just make sure you do the fine coats and let it dry inbetween sprayings! You'll find this cuts down on "orange peel" and the amount of sanding you have to do later to get it smooth again! Just make sure you lightly sand the final coat so that clear coat has something to stick to! It will dry clear and unscratched.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (Lee'sv8 @ Jul 19 2009, 02:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740607
Thanks for the advice, but window tint is a little too....."cheap" for my tastes.[/b]
Cheap? Um...no. I've seen it on a Gen 2 SHO (sho_continental) and a Gen 4 (antball) in person and they look HIGHLY professional and clean. At least it gives you an even layer which you may not get when Nightshading it. And if you dont like it or want to go a shard darker or lighter, you can remove it.

I'll see if i can get pics of the Gen 2 and Gen 4.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Gen 4 Taurus:

Gen 2 SHO:

Unfortunately there is a shade that is making the tint look darker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts