Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the correct NGK item/part number for my 03 taurus duratec. I order some from amazon based off their parts finder search but they didn't fit. these 2 show up until i select a trim level. I googled them but can find any info as to how they are made or thickness

NGK (52028) FDZ070 Spark Plug Wire Set

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/NGK-52015-FDZ080-Spark-Plug/dp/B001RM4AOW/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1285738923&sr=1-1"]NGK (52015) FDZ080 Spark Plug Wire Set[/ame]

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yeah, just get what he offers, though Taylor wires low resistance claims are unsupported, but they are a good wire. I would not use NGK wires. You can'y go wrong with Motorcraft.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, just get what he offers, though Taylor wires low resistance claims are unsupported, but they are a good wire. I would not use NGK wires. You can'y go wrong with Motorcraft.
Why? Why not get NGK? They are good enough for Mercedes...is there some reason they aren't good enough for Ford? Motorcraft is the Ford branding...I understand - but is there a reason you wouldn't use NGK?

I used NGK in my race cars...I love them. I also used Motorcraft in my Ranger...if I wanted a solid spark...I would have bumped to NGK.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Because NGK has not made their plugs or wires to Ford specifications. Doesn't mean they aren't quality, but if they don't meet the specs, it causes more problems down the road. A lot of issues people don't even realize are related, things like erratic sensor readings, come from EMI from the wires.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
This is a general thing butfor the SHO's some spark plugs are made to one spec and come out too tall and others are made to another spec and are just right. It does happen.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
By specs, I mean, reach, heat range, displacement, gaps, and exposure. Most plugs can easily match 2 of those factors, but mis on everything else. The ones that are usually matches are gap and reach.

On the wires, the critical match is resistance at 40,000 volts (its not the same as the resistance at 12 volts.), dielectric strength, and EMI suppression. Its ok to have a lower resistance, but only if the EMI suppression is high enough. Taylor wires are about the same resistance as stock wire at 40,000 volts, but the EMI suppresion is not nearly as good.

NGK may or may not be a good match, but you just can't go wrong with the Motorcraft wires. They are usually made by Autolite, not NGK.

·
Registered
211 Posts
By specs, I mean, reach, heat range, displacement, gaps, and exposure. Most plugs can easily match 2 of those factors, but mis on everything else. The ones that are usually matches are gap and reach.

On the wires, the critical match is resistance at 40,000 volts (its not the same as the resistance at 12 volts.), dielectric strength, and EMI suppression. Its ok to have a lower resistance, but only if the EMI suppression is high enough. Taylor wires are about the same resistance as stock wire at 40,000 volts, but the EMI suppresion is not nearly as good.

NGK may or may not be a good match, but you just can't go wrong with the Motorcraft wires. They are usually made by Autolite, not NGK.
Motorcrafts or autolite are the best for the tauruses. Tho NGKs will be ok more then likely. Basically, you could save the money and just get the motorcrafts or the autolites. I just put the autolies on my bull and it worked great and they look sweet in the engine compartment being jet black.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I replaced original 9 y.o. Motorcraft with Champion wires when I purchased my Bull (Vulcan, G4) three month ago, but I put Motorcraft plugs and car runs fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts