Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on napa.com last night and noticed that NGK makes a plug that supposedly fits my gen 4.

Im wondering if anyone here is using the NGK plugs, specifically in the duratec, and how they are performing.

Not that I need them anytime soon, but im looking for some reason to justify spending 9 bucks a plug. :lol2:

-Damon

·
Registered
318 Posts
Originally posted by duratecchie@Oct 16 2004, 11:22 PM
Ngk Plugs, Anyone using them?

-Damon
Nope.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Hard to beat the Motorcraft plugs designed for your engine, and can be had for $4 a plug.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Yes, I use NGK TR6 Copper plugs in my Vulcan. They are one heat range colder than stock.

I know they are not for the Duratec, and not DP, but I thought I would chime in because I am very happy with them.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I use them in my Festiva. I am sure they are good plugs and probably a better choice than the gimmicky Bosch +4s or 2s. Still when you can get the Motorcraft for under $5 a plug why go elsewhere?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I'm running Autolite double platinums in my gen 3 tec. I've seen about a 2-3 mpg increase over the old plugs that had 95k miles on them. The prongs were beginning to straighten out on the old plugs so I had a gap that was larger than .090" on some of them. I imagine I would've got the same increase with Motorcrafts. Anyway, I don't think I would try the NGK's considering so many people have had problems with the Bosch plugs. Motorcrafts are made for your motor, and as I understand it, Autolites basically are too.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by metalliman@Oct 18 2004, 04:54 AM
I'm running Autolite double platinums in my gen 3 tec. I've seen about a 2-3 mpg increase over the old plugs that had 95k miles on them. The prongs were beginning to straighten out on the old plugs so I had a gap that was larger than .090" on some of them. I imagine I would've got the same increase with Motorcrafts. Anyway, I don't think I would try the NGK's considering so many people have had problems with the Bosch plugs. Motorcrafts are made for your motor, and as I understand it, Autolites basically are too.
Supposedly the Autolites and Motorcrafts are the exact same thing... I have the Autolites as well and don't have any trouble with them. :)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The problem with the Bosch's is the multiple ground electrodes making gapping a nightmare if they are off. NGK is not a multi electrode plug. Autolite and Motorcraft are not the same thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts