Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I recently got a job as a filthy shoe salesman at my local mall at a store called Journey's. I'm going to be working alot and I'd like to get a new car, but then I was watching G4TechTV and Screensavers was on, and they were talking about this years E3 (the biggest video game show in the world) and they were talking about this being the year of the handheld. I love handhelds. Handheld anything. Palm pilots, SP's, GBA's, all of that ****. I'm like a gadget freak.

Anyway, the two that really caught my eye were the Nokia NGageQD, and the Playstation Pocket. The PSP has much much much better graphics, you can even watch movies on this thing, but I also liked the NGage because you get internet access, cellphone, instant messaging, AND alot of really cool games availble in 16bit, 32bit, 64bit, and i think there's one or two more that are higher than that. But, you can also play people from anywhere on the NGage, but I dont think think the PSP offers that. The online play would be really cool with games like Rainbow 6 and stuff, but I don't know if its any good, or if you have to be in a hotspot to use it. Hopefully it will be cool to work anywhere, but im not sure.

So what I'm wanting to know is what you guys think I should get (if you even care :) ) or what you've heard about both of these things, or if you'd just like to say "Chris, you filthy shoesalesman, quit being such an impulse buyer and save for a new car," go ahead :)

Thanks guys!

-Chris

·
Registered
42 Posts
I personally think that you'd be better off with a new car. It can get you places, and cars are just cool. Gadgets may be cool, but nowhere near as cool as a car. You can do much more stuff with a car than you can with a "portable gaming system."

Remember- cars can help you get laid. Gaming systems often have to opposite effect.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would buy the Playstation one, if anything at all. The online gaming experience would suck because FCC regulations make the US cell phone market stay in the early 1990s because of bandwidth and frequency issues. You probably won't be able to get a good enough connection to an online game server to even be able to play without it being all kinds of jerky...

I would definitely go with the new car...is this worth it to you?

Getting laid >= New Car > Pocket Video Games

JR

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'd have to say wait it out on the handhelds until the prices come down more and the technology and infrastructure gets better. A year or two down the road, things will be much better in this area.

Oh, and if you have to buy a new car in order to get laid... that might be a completely separate issue. :p

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by beefstu01@Jun 23 2004, 01:57 PM
I personally think that you'd be better off with a new car. It can get you places, and cars are just cool. Gadgets may be cool, but nowhere near as cool as a car. You can do much more stuff with a car than you can with a "portable gaming system."

Remember- cars can help you get laid. Gaming systems often have to opposite effect.
:withstupid: :D

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by Mantioch@Jun 23 2004, 01:24 PM
I'd have to say wait it out on the handhelds until the prices come down more and the technology and infrastructure gets better. A year or two down the road, things will be much better in this area.

Oh, and if you have to buy a new car in order to get laid... that might be a completely separate issue. :p
At the rate the FCC is going, we won't have Gen III cell technology for several years, and might even pass it by to get Gen IV technology after the upgrade from II to III took too long. The FCC is really dragging their feet on this one, while Europe and Japan are FAR ahead of us in terms of cell technology...

JR

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would recommend the PSP. I've done a lot of research on this (i'm a geek, i know). The PSP will have built in 802.11b, which would lead me to believe there would be internet, with multiplayer gaming at the very least. The NGage's software line-up is very mediocre, you'll be stuck playing games such as Pandemonium, and various Doom rip-offs, whereas on PSP you'll be able to play Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, and more. I've actually had hands on experience with the original NGage (hardware/software is still the same on the QD, just redesigned to fix some of the bugs) and the games are very unimpressive. I'll be pre-ordering a PSP when it becomes available. That's just my $0.02.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Def. the play station portable.

Ive been reading about it recently and it has a lot of cool things..

It has just as much if not more power than the ps2... it will be able to play video (not sure how yet) and a lot of other cool things

Im def getting it next year!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, just got back from my first day of work, and i'm not really a happy camper. Apparently i'm only going to be getting about 6 hours a week. 6. im going to say this again. 6 hours a week. At 5.85 an hour, thats peanuts. Its better than nothing, because i really dont do much, but still. So im thinking the new car thing is pretty well off. If anything, i'll just have to get my car fixed. I'll get the wing removed and the holes filled in and dents pulled out and stuff like that. Maybe a Z24 body kit, rims, and maybe like a UD pulley or somthing, but other than that, i dont know.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Originally posted by PimpedOut97GL@Jun 23 2004, 09:47 PM
Well, just got back from my first day of work, and i'm not really a happy camper. Apparently i'm only going to be getting about 6 hours a week. 6. im going to say this again. 6 hours a week. At 5.85 an hour, thats peanuts. Its better than nothing, because i really dont do much, but still. So im thinking the new car thing is pretty well off. If anything, i'll just have to get my car fixed. I'll get the wing removed and the holes filled in and dents pulled out and stuff like that. Maybe a Z24 body kit, rims, and maybe like a UD pulley or somthing, but other than that, i dont know.
Thats so lame! It will barely pay for gas. Sounds like you will have plenty of time to look for a new job tho! Why be satisfied with 6 measly hours a week? We just have to get the TCAA prayer thing going, or the power of positive thinking for you atheists and you'll have a better job in no time.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
People are actually considering buying the Ngage's or Psps?!? If anything, I would skip the Ngage entirerly (Nokia has proven they're not up to the match) and wait for a LONG TIME for the PSP to come down in price. Although, even then, I couldn't see how it could be worth it. Mix Sony's hardware problems with proprietary disks and some mobility and that thing is screaming "waste of money" (imagine that screen after it's been in your pocket after a day). Of course, if Sony's able to pull an amazing piece out of nowhere that actually justifies a 300 dollar pricetag and a 10hour optimal battery life (a LOT less if you watch movies on those crappy disks you'll have to buy), I'll change my mind, but I'm not expecting anything awesome.

(This family's been through two Playstation's and a Playstation 2, and all of our Nintendo's still work, including our three original gameboys and 4 Gameboy Advances.)

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles@Jun 24 2004, 12:13 AM
People are actually considering buying the Ngage's or Psps?!? If anything, I would skip the Ngage entirerly (Nokia has proven they're not up to the match) and wait for a LONG TIME for the PSP to come down in price. Although, even then, I couldn't see how it could be worth it. Mix Sony's hardware problems with proprietary disks and some mobility and that thing is screaming "waste of money" (imagine that screen after it's been in your pocket after a day). Of course, if Sony's able to pull an amazing piece out of nowhere that actually justifies a 300 dollar pricetag and a 10hour optimal battery life (a LOT less if you watch movies on those crappy disks you'll have to buy), I'll change my mind, but I'm not expecting anything awesome.

(This family's been through two Playstation's and a Playstation 2, and all of our Nintendo's still work, including our three original gameboys and 4 Gameboy Advances.)
I've never had any problems with my PS2, nor my nintendos or gameboys..what the hell do you do to them? Do you have 3 year olds throwing them down the stairs???

Anyways, the PSP will be the best in my opinion... the proprietary disks... does nintendo not have this??? They have cartridges..i can't imagion shoving a DVD into one of their systems???? I wouldn't expect the PSP to have a 10 hour battery life if it's going to have a screen twice as large as a GB Advance w/out backlighting...

It comes down to this.. if you are a nintendo fanboy (like im assuming you are) buy the game boy dual screen...

if you are a ps fanboy get the PSP...

I'm neither fanboy, but i can tell you this much.. if the psp can play movies and have a lot more functionality than the gameboy, i'll be going with that...ill always go with a device that can suit multiple purposes over one that is only good at one thing..but thats just because im a gaget type of guy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Kermitec+Jun 24 2004, 12:12 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kermitec @ Jun 24 2004, 12:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PimpedOut97GL@Jun 23 2004, 09:47 PM
Thats so lame! It will barely pay for gas. Sounds like you will have plenty of time to look for a new job tho! Why be satisfied with 6 measly hours a week? We just have to get the TCAA prayer thing going, or the power of positive thinking for you atheists and you'll have a better job in no time. [/b][/quote]
Hehe, you forget I drive a 2.2litre cavalier. I only have to fill up about once every two weeks. You can say what you want about my ****** little ricer, but the gas mileage is terriffic! Also, I went in today at 9:00am and my boss gave me about an hour and a half's worth of training, then I heard her say she was going to leave early, so I asked if I could work after she left, so I stayed for about 5 hours. I'm just going to have to keep calling in and ask when she doesnt want to stay. I mean, its way way way too easy of a job too quit, im serious, I really shouldnt even get paid to do this, im basically just store-sitting. But I might look for a second mall job, then I'd be getting more while still being able to have alot of off time because the mall closes at 9:00pm so its all good.

anyway about the psp and stuff:
If I find out the PSP has online play and its not an ass load for a subscription, i'll totally go with that, but until then, im going to wait for some more reviews of the QD come out. Actually all I heard they fixed in it was just now you dont have to use the cell phone in such a dorky manner. Also, about waiting for the price to go down, I never do that, and I probably never will. It would take many many months for the price to go down on these things. The PS2 didnt cut prices for an extrememly long amount of time, so i dont see why this would be much different. Also, those about those new Nintendo things, I heard the sound on them sucks terribly, and they look like toys, all clunky and stuff, i have no interest in them at all, but thats just IMHO.

take care
-chris

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bwahaha just got 3 more hours tonight!

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Ha, no way :D Our original PS overheated all the time, and the replacement PS1 stopped working altogether (hell if I know.) Our PS2 still plays most of my bro's PS2 games (which is unexcusable in the first place), but it's never played original PS games. We tried to mess with the alignment of the lazer (as is recommend by those who are out of warrenty), and had mixed success (only one game would work, for example.) My bro's still semi-happy with his PS2, although he plays my N64 more (I still don't get that)

Anyways, the PSP will be the best in my opinion... the proprietary disks... does nintendo not have this??? They have cartridges..i can't imagion shoving a DVD into one of their systems???? I wouldn't expect the PSP to have a 10 hour battery life if it's going to have a screen twice as large as a GB Advance w/out backlighting...
I dunno, if I already have a movie, I'm not going to want to buy another copy of it just to play it on my PSP, or have to buy two different versions if I want to watch it on TV, too (although Sony would be smart to have a v-out of some sort). Plus, features don't mean quality; I can imagine it would have some novelty value, and for some people, being able to watch a single movie on a single charge would be entertaining, but it doesn't seem any better than anything else on the market that can already do it. This is, of course, just my opinion; I just don't see how (in my world) 150 bucks would justify being able to play proprietary videos and games online.

It comes down to this.. if you are a nintendo fanboy (like im assuming you are) buy the game boy dual screen...
I like Nintendo, but I'd never pay 100 or more bucks for something like a Gameboy :p All of our advances were 30 bucks used from Gamestop (for the almighty Zelda!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts