Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I did last weekend. I've been working on it a little longer but haven't have much time lately. Currently, there is no wiring done. That is the project for this weekend. Still have a bunch of work to do.

You'll see the amps on the sides behind the cut-outs. These will be covered with Plexi-glass soon. Also, each amp will have a few fans (push/pull) to help cool them. They are also raised off the MDF just a little so I can put neons above and/or below to light up the insides.

Plan is to lay sound-deadening material before carpeting. If it gets too close to the proposed Southern Meet (Sept 17) then I may end up painting the MDF for the time being.

What do you guys think so far?

Derek
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
927 Posts
So is what we see in the pictures the inside of the box, or will the subs have seperate boxes behind the mdf walls (in-between the fenderwall and mdf).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by submariner@Aug 18 2004, 09:26 AM
I'm not a sound expert, and I may be wrong, but won't directly opposing subs cancel each other out and degrade sound quality?
i'm no expert either, but i think that if you took a decibelmeter out there, you'd probably notice a drop from the top decibel level that could be acheived with a different angle. but i don't think you'll really cancel sound out. to cancel the sound, you'd have to send signals of reverse polarities on either side :)

i'm more worried about a possible small boom you might hear that might not be on beat with the song. i might be making that up, but i thought i read something about that somewhere
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,578 Posts
I really like it, especially the sub grills. I do agree with you guys though, that he might have trouble with the two subs facing eachother like that, especially in such a closed environment. I've seen stuff like that done in competition vans and such, but with the space of the trunk, and the fact that the trunklid will be closed while you're listening to it, there might be some conflicting vibrations. You also run the risk of intensifying the sound waves and shaking the hell out of your trunk, to the point where it starts to loosed bolts and stuff.

JR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by submariner@Aug 18 2004, 08:26 AM
I'm not a sound expert, and I may be wrong, but won't directly opposing subs cancel each other out and degrade sound quality?
As long as they are wired together in mono they should be ok.... but ask Hoss, I'm no expert either
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 18 2004, 10:05 AM
I really like it, especially the sub grills. I do agree with you guys though, that he might have trouble with the two subs facing eachother like that, especially in such a closed environment. I've seen stuff like that done in competition vans and such, but with the space of the trunk, and the fact that the trunklid will be closed while you're listening to it, there might be some conflicting vibrations. You also run the risk of intensifying the sound waves and shaking the hell out of your trunk, to the point where it starts to loosed bolts and stuff.

JR
i was thinking the same thing...the crashing sound waves might produce an unwanted effect if you had enough power :)

oh i wonder if he put in a huge 4000W amp that you could make someone sick by being between them :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Brian C. King+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Brian C. King)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I guess you don't use your trunk for anything????[/b]

Actually, I'm getting more trunk space with this setup than the other box that I had made. It's also better than the Kickers (subs & amps) that I had.

Originally posted by A Bunch of People@
Subs facing each other will cause problems.
Sure, I may loose a few dB by doing it this way but I am not out for competition. It should not be too bad.

<!--QuoteBegin-golovko

So is what we see in the pictures the inside of the box, or will the subs have seperate boxes behind the mdf walls (in-between the fenderwall and mdf). [/quote]
The subs will have their required airspace behind them made out of fiberglass (since I can make it into a shape other than rectangular). The great thing about these subs is that they only need .7 to .9 cuft of airspace. My older Kickers needed 1.1 cuft. The space between the fender and the taillights will give me my needed airspace.

I could have done without putting that back wall into the back. That would have given me a few inches in depth but the thing is there is going to be some more goodies behind there. If you look at pictures 1 and 2 you will see a square drawn on the back wall. I plan on cutting that would (not that big though) and behind there will be a motherboard for my "in-car" computer. The dash will be re-done to hold an 8" touch-screen. The future....

Derek
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by d_sellers1@Aug 18 2004, 10:50 PM
The dash will be re-done to hold an 8" touch-screen.
ah, a little different than my setup..mine's going in the glovebox, with exception to the touch-screen, cd-rom, and input device (a keypad). i plan to mod the HU dash part and re-route the air controls down lower in place of where the extra storage space is. good to know i'm not the only on eoding it, though i don't feel as original now ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
927 Posts
Originally posted by d_sellers1@Aug 18 2004, 10:50 PM
The subs will have their required airspace behind them made out of fiberglass (since I can make it into a shape other than rectangular). The great thing about these subs is that they only need .7 to .9 cuft of airspace. My older Kickers needed 1.1 cuft. The space between the fender and the taillights will give me my needed airspace.
Have fun with that fiberglass box. I've been working on a fiberglass enclosure of my own to go in the same place for the past week or so, but I need around 1.8 ft^3 for my single sub. I decided to whip up a temporary box out of mdf to use in the meantime so I can take my time on the fiberglass project. The two biggest PITA obsticales for me are the trunk arm that swings down and that little lever that hangs down next to it. I'm going to have to mold around them...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by j0rd4n+Aug 19 2004, 08:28 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j0rd4n @ Aug 19 2004, 08:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-d_sellers1@Aug 18 2004, 10:50 PM
The dash will be re-done to hold an 8" touch-screen.
ah, a little different than my setup..mine's going in the glovebox, with exception to the touch-screen, cd-rom, and input device (a keypad). i plan to mod the HU dash part and re-route the air controls down lower in place of where the extra storage space is. good to know i'm not the only on eoding it, though i don't feel as original now ;D [/b][/quote]
You're not the only one. I have found eCar (also here at TCCA) and dnehthend (I think is also here; he has a 2000 SE). I talked to him via email a few weeks back. Attached is his idea of mounting his screen. I'm not fond of blocking off the AC vents. I too plan on reloacting my AC controls but my idea involves build a completely new center part of the dash and it will go all the way down to replace the middle, front seat. That is still a ways away though.

Derek
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
having speakers facing towards each other wont degrade any quality, as long as they are in phase. there are several box designe that operate on this principle. you can set them up as a push/pull type install(AKA isobaric), and this can effectivly trick your woofers into thinking they are in a larger airspace if it is set up properly. or you can have the woofers firing directly towards each other in the box, but this will cause some cancellation on the low freq info. of course this is all enclosure dependent, along with several other variants. but you should have no problem with that set up, if something does sound out of whack when you first hoop it up, then check the phasing of the subs.

looking good man :thumb:

and jordan, jsut a little FYI, the technical term for "decibalmeter" is an RTA(real time analyzer) ;) .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Amps now receive power. RCAs are hooked up. Front speakers are hooked up and working. Hope to hook up the subs this later afternoon if stops raining.

Some stuff that I found:

CD Changer Connector
Code:
Red/Gray    Ã‚ - ??? (Signal ?)
Red/Yellow  Ã‚ - Constant 12V+
Purple/Black - ACC 12V+
The Purple/Black acts great as the remote. No need to run a wire from the headunit, ignition, or fuse box; it's already back there. BTW, this is located in the trunk on the left side near the RCU attached to the fender wall.

Trunk Light Switch Plug
Code:
Green     - Positive
Black/Red - Negative
Use this to replace the crappy stock light with something better such as a big neon tube.

Derek
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Originally posted by d_sellers1+Aug 19 2004, 07:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (d_sellers1 @ Aug 19 2004, 07:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2004, 08:28 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-d_sellers1
@Aug 18 2004, 10:50 PM
The dash will be re-done to hold an 8" touch-screen.

ah, a little different than my setup..mine's going in the glovebox, with exception to the touch-screen, cd-rom, and input device (a keypad). i plan to mod the HU dash part and re-route the air controls down lower in place of where the extra storage space is. good to know i'm not the only on eoding it, though i don't feel as original now ;D
You're not the only one. I have found eCar (also here at TCCA) and dnehthend (I think is also here; he has a 2000 SE). I talked to him via email a few weeks back. Attached is his idea of mounting his screen. I'm not fond of blocking off the AC vents. I too plan on reloacting my AC controls but my idea involves build a completely new center part of the dash and it will go all the way down to replace the middle, front seat. That is still a ways away though.

Derek [/b][/quote]
Is that just a monitor or is it a headunit monitor that retracts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by stever
Is that just a monitor or is it a headunit monitor that retracts?
It is just a monitor with RCA, S-Video, and VGA inputs. It also has a touchscreen built in. Here's a link.

Derek
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top