Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I was quite lost and then stumbled onto this forum. I hope someone out there has a solution so here goes. I have a 2003 taurus with the ax4n. Long story short, the TC splines stripped out. The pump showed no signs of damage or seizure so it sort of stumped me. I purchased a rebuilt transmission with TC, installed it, topped it off and test drove it. It drove great for about 10 minutes. I came to a stop, hit the gas and it just revved. I dropped it into 1st and it almost wanted to engage but wouldnt. I put it in reverse and bingo. I still have reverse. I drove it the rest of the way home in reverse, only a 1/2 mile or so.
I am sort of hoping it is just a weird electrical problem cuz I dont want to swap it again. I cant understand why it ran well for a short period of time.
It still shifts and drives in reverse perfectly.
I suspected I may have damaged the electronic gear selector switch on top of the tranny when I removed it from the old tranny, it was a little tight to come off.
With that in mind, I started the car then pulled the connecter off the selector switch. In this condition it will clunk into 1st and also engages into Drive but goes very softly into drive and still slips. When I reconnect it I dont have drive and it slips in 1st.
Could this part be preventing it from engaging properly? Does it actually have control to bypass the mechanical gear select lever?
Any help would be appreciated, I am getting so frustrated at this point with all the time spent on it so far. Sorry this post is so long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I let my curiosity get the best of me. I pulled the selector switch off, drilled the rivets and took it apart. YUP! it was cracked inside. I am still hoping the trans runs correctly when I install a new switch. I will keep yas posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK put the new sensor in and I have the same problem. It sounds like its the cracked aluminum drive piston. That should have been upgraded during the rebuild. Anyone know what years the aluminum piston was used? Anyone else have any thoughts?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The book says:
For no drive, reverse OK .....
2-3 servo regulator valve stuck
Low/intermediate band burned or ends broken
Low/intermediate servo piston, seal or rod damaged
Low/intermediate servo oil tubes damaged

The first item I would check would be the transmission fluid pressure in each gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Thanks for the reply. how would I check the pressure? Manually, with a guage? or using a scan tool? I have software on my laptop with the additional Ford codes but last time I tried using it on this car it had trouble making communication with the computer. I will try hooking up after work today and see if its any better. I am going to call the company I got the trans from too. They obviously did not replace everything they should have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts