Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day after purchasing my '01 FFV Vulcun with 91k miles, the CEL comes on. I scan it and tells me both banks are too lean. So time to do some searching and I find this great site. Looks like all too common of a problem. Tried the MAF cleaning 1st with no luck. Based on many others suggestion, I figured I'd spend some one on one time with new purchase so I ordered upper and lower intake gaskets, plugs, wires, PVC and tube. I also ordered a scan tool that can do live scanning. Great excuse to buy one - I've been eying them up for awhile.
I've already changed the oil, serpentine belt and performed the "Clinton" flush preparing for our nice Wisconsin winters. Also on my list is a worn out bushing somewhere in the front suspension. I'll tackle that after I fix my vacuum leak.
I'll update this thread as I progress plus I'm sure I'll have some questions. Just wanted to introduce myself and mention what a great site this is. Lot's of great info. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute in the future.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
The day after purchasing my '01 FFV Vulcun with 91k miles, the CEL comes on. I scan it and tells me both banks are too lean. So time to do some searching and I find this great site. Looks like all too common of a problem. Tried the MAF cleaning 1st with no luck. Based on many others suggestion, I figured I'd spend some one on one time with new purchase so I ordered upper and lower intake gaskets, plugs, wires, PVC and tube. I also ordered a scan tool that can do live scanning. Great excuse to buy one - I've been eying them up for awhile.
I've already changed the oil, serpentine belt and performed the "Clinton" flush preparing for our nice Wisconsin winters. Also on my list is a worn out bushing somewhere in the front suspension. I'll tackle that after I fix my vacuum leak.
I'll update this thread as I progress plus I'm sure I'll have some questions. Just wanted to introduce myself and mention what a great site this is. Lot's of great info. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute in the future.
clean the MAF, with MAF cleaner only

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
clean the MAF, with MAF cleaner only
Tried that 1st - no luck. Figured I'd start with the easy and cheap fix first.
By reading many other posts, I'm seeing a common theme that the manifold gaskets and PCV tube are weak spots. Figured they have to be replaced sooner or later so why not complete them all with the plugs.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
^ +1 - P0171 and P0174 are caused by unmetered air getting into the system DOWNSTREAM of the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Add on

^ +1 - P0171 and P0174 are caused by unmetered air getting into the system DOWNSTREAM of the MAF sensor.
Agree but do not forget the lines that go to the accordian between the air cleaner and throttle plate. This will let unmetered air into the throttle plate, and also dirty air. This is often missed whan looking for only 'vacuum' leaks. And also, where these lines go to, they can be open to atmosphere on the other end. Like all too often valve cover ells on the other end.

Lots of vacuum lines to leak, and gaskets.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
Use your new scan tool to look at long term fuel trims on both banks. If both banks are roughly the same and positive (say +20% and +18%), the vac leak effects both banks equally (like the accordian pipe, PCV hose, etc)) or the MAF is bad even after cleaning it. If fuel trims are significantly different bank to bank, suspect things that effect the banks differently, like leaking intake gaskets.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use your new scan tool to look at long term fuel trims on both banks. If both banks are roughly the same and positive (say +20% and +18%), the vac leak effects both banks equally (like the accordian pipe, PCV hose, etc)) or the MAF is bad even after cleaning it. If fuel trims are significantly different bank to bank, suspect things that effect the banks differently, like leaking intake gaskets.
Great info. Parts and scan tool are scheduled to arrive sometime Friday. I'm excited to play around with the tool and actually a little excited to start tearing into the engine. I might change my mind when I drop a socket down where it can't be located. :( I'll try to report all of my values from the scan tool once I figure it out.
I've done a ton of searching on this site for common problems and didn't see anything else that really is too common to the Gen 4 Vulcan engine except for the lean codes. Does anyone else have any suggestions of other weak points on this engine I should be aware of during my repairs? I have around 90k miles now and I expect to get close to 200k. I did perform the "Clinton" flush on the heater core right after changing the oil.

·
Registered
541 Posts
A quick way,( I tried it the other day and it works awesome) to seek out vacuum leaks is to blow cigarette smoke into one of your vac lines w/o the engine running of course. And make sure you block off the air cleaner. I found my leak in no time. I had to buy a cheap cigar because I dont smoke I had a headache for awhile but it was worth it! GOOD LUCK TO YA!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A quick way,( I tried it the other day and it works awesome) to seek out vacuum leaks is to blow cigarette smoke into one of your vac lines w/o the engine running of course. And make sure you block off the air cleaner. I found my leak in no time. I had to buy a cheap cigar because I dont smoke I had a headache for awhile but it was worth it! GOOD LUCK TO YA!
That's actually a pretty good idea. I'll use that as plan B if I can't figure it out with my new scan tool. I'm a guy - I gotta play with the new tool first.

My guess is a leak in the PCV tube.
Maybe I should setup a poll for everyone to guess where my leak is :D
PCV tube
Lower intake gasket
Upper intake gasket
Other hoses

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Blowin Smoke

Guess this defines "Blowin Smoke" :lol2:

Creative thinking.

-chart-

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The project is completed. The leak was at the 90 degree elbow on the PCV. Even though the actual leak was an easy fix, I still decided to do the upper and lower intake gaskets. I also changed plugs and wires. The EGR valve was missing a gasket so I put that in also.
The engine was definitely running lean according to the old plugs. The worse part about the job was removing all the push rods to get the intake off. Putting the push rods back in and then torquing each cylinder rocker when the valves are closed is time consuming. My Haynes manual recommended doing it in 2 steps so that ate up alot of time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts