Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div align='left'>

Hello, all. I sure am glad to find this place. I've been struggling since moving to north Texas
with my '94 Taurus Wagon GL (3.0 litre).
It runs great, despite some old car idiosyncracies...but whenever we have damp weather, the
doggone thing just won't start. It cranks and cranks and cranks...but I generally have to wait
for a warm, dry day before I can drive again.
I've replaced plugs, plug wires and ignition coil wire...and it started...reluctantly...and only
after a shot of starter fluid. After that, it ran fine. Then I tried again a half-hour later and
it cranked...and cranked....
Sigh.
Sure would appreciate suggestions.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Turned out the coil was getting damp inside on damp days.[/b]
The COIL is a sealed unit, I've never seen one get wet/damp internally. Did you mean the distributor cap??

Have you checked fuel pressure with a guage? It almost sounds like it might not be keeping "primed". If it's only on ultra humid days, it could be condensation inside the cap, being a 94. Do you still have that infernal black rubber cover on the distributor, take it off!!!!

Has the car been in high or even semi-high water?? If so I would start looking at electrical connections.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (rudedog @ May 15 2009, 11:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725350
. The COIL is a sealed unit, I've never seen one get wet/damp internally. Did you mean the distributor cap??[/b]
On the Windstar the coil had a hair line crack along one entire side along the bottom where the clear/white plastic was welded to the black plastic top.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
His 94 doesnt have a coil pack, just an ignition coil for the distributor.

I'd check into doing a cap+rotor, and ignition coil. The fuel pump might be a suspect as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
ffvulcanpowah
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing