Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Cake monster
1,508 Posts
just bought my fiance a 03 Taurus SES Sport with the duratec engine with 125k. so far so great and she loves it. well i done some research here (love the site btw) and i want to change the oil ASAP just cause i dont know when the last time it was done.

Heres the question. Here at my work, we order 15w40 by the drum and its free game. its pure synthetic (Schaeffer Oil | Supreme 7000 15W-40 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil) and we use it in tractors to 4 cylinder chevy colorados. i use it in my personal 04 sierra v8 and my 65 mustang. oil samples get sent back to them on every oil change and mst of the time oil change intervals are around 5-7k. i like this stuff to say the least.

will it do any harm since this is begining to see high miles?

also, changing trans fluid and filter this weekend thanks to this site!
It won't hurt it at all. I used to run it in a Volvo with 500,000KM. I read somewhere in a forum about a guy using old, recovered diesel oil in his 5.0 F150, said it worked real good. If it caused trouble in the cold because of thickness, then big trucks wouldn't want to run it, right? They have bearings that need protection too, most transport trucks get over 1 million miles on a rebuild.

Just my humble opinion. I currently run cheap 10w30 and replace it on time, every time. It only burns 1/4 L of oil every 5k. It's usually fairly clean when I change it, too. I also buy it in 20L buckets, for the savings.

· Cake monster
1,508 Posts
Big trucks are extremely hard to start in the cold, diesels especially.
True, bud that also has to do with the fact that they use compressed air or whatever to make combustion, unlike a gas engine that uses spark, this makes it much harder to start in the cold. A diesel engine needs just as much lubrication after being cold started, though a main difference is that most diesels are allowed to idle and warm up a little in cold weather, so it might end up being a requirement for running it in a car. I can't see it really taking that long for your engine to start getting lubrication, the oil pump puts out quite a bit of flow, if it's thick or not. The thicker the oil, the more likely it will stick to stuff internally, like bearings, there must be a small coating of oil on the bearings left from the last run.

Just my opinion using standard reasoning. If he wants to run it, I'd say go for it. If something bad happens, he could come back and tell us and then we would know for sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.