Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought my fiance a 03 Taurus SES Sport with the duratec engine with 125k. so far so great and she loves it. well i done some research here (love the site btw) and i want to change the oil ASAP just cause i dont know when the last time it was done.

Heres the question. Here at my work, we order 15w40 by the drum and its free game. its pure synthetic (Schaeffer Oil | Supreme 7000 15W-40 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil) and we use it in tractors to 4 cylinder chevy colorados. i use it in my personal 04 sierra v8 and my 65 mustang. oil samples get sent back to them on every oil change and mst of the time oil change intervals are around 5-7k. i like this stuff to say the least.

will it do any harm since this is begining to see high miles?

also, changing trans fluid and filter this weekend thanks to this site!

·
Registered
671 Posts
just bought my fiance a 03 Taurus SES Sport with the duratec engine with 125k. so far so great and she loves it. well i done some research here (love the site btw) and i want to change the oil ASAP just cause i dont know when the last time it was done.

Heres the question. Here at my work, we order 15w40 by the drum and its free game. its pure synthetic (Schaeffer Oil | Supreme 7000 15W-40 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil) and we use it in tractors to 4 cylinder chevy colorados. i use it in my personal 04 sierra v8 and my 65 mustang. oil samples get sent back to them on every oil change and mst of the time oil change intervals are around 5-7k. i like this stuff to say the least.

Where do you live? Our cars take 5W20 factory, but we like to put 5W30 in it because I don't think anybody considers 5W20 a real oil. stepping up to a 10W30 in the summer isn't too bad, because when the engine warms up, it will still run as a 30-weight. A 15w40 will run as a 15-weight while you start your engine and warm it up, and run as a 40-weight at operating temp. My vulcan has moderately small oil passages. IIRC, the 'tec is worse. To anybody that's had really high blood pressure before, that's how your car is going to feel. Will it do any harm? I don't know. But it definitely won't run the same.

Also, I never go by the mileage to change oil. Have a look at the dipstick from time to time. If it's still clear-ish (opaque?) to a dull grey color, your oil is fine for another while. If it's jet black, it's time. If it's so black that it's a perfect mirror, then it's become tar and you can use it on your roof. Not really. I've just seen some nasty oil lately.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I use valvoline hi milage (red bottle) oil 5w20 in my '02 vulcan and you can't hear it run would not use anything else. Its expensive you can get 5 qt. jug at walmart for about 15 bucks. its got 160,000 plus miles on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
that oil will be fine. I prefer the 15w over the 5 w's you might lose 1mpg (doubt it) but you'll get better protection and less seepage. Being a synthetic is even better.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Personally, I use 5w30 in all 4 tecs that we have, 98-04.
You're not close enough to the 5w20 recommended for your car.
I wouldn't risk it, free oil or not.:)

·
Registered
152 Posts
By your profile you are in the northeast and that means cold winters, mix that with thick oil and you're going to have starter problems, also the oil will not circulate quickly enough to prevent startup damage. In this case free just does not make it. 5/20 in cold weather and 10/30 above freezing. I'd buy the proper oil.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Go for the Synth. oil

I've used Mobil One FULL synth. for the last eight years with excellent results. My 3.3 Caravan has used that for 225000 miles and is running strong. I change the oil every 10000-12000 miles and even higher if it was highway miles. My 2001 Duratec had 144000 and was quit happy with 10,000 mile oil changes. But would use 10w30 not 15w40. Initial cost is more but if you use a high quality filter you will enjoy good performance and avoid that :( its 3000 miles again.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I use nothing but German Castrol (european formula) in my duratec with 8K mile oil change intervals.

Monsoon

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts

It won't hurt it at all. I used to run it in a Volvo with 500,000KM. I read somewhere in a forum about a guy using old, recovered diesel oil in his 5.0 F150, said it worked real good. If it caused trouble in the cold because of thickness, then big trucks wouldn't want to run it, right? They have bearings that need protection too, most transport trucks get over 1 million miles on a rebuild.

Just my humble opinion. I currently run cheap 10w30 and replace it on time, every time. It only burns 1/4 L of oil every 5k. It's usually fairly clean when I change it, too. I also buy it in 20L buckets, for the savings.

·
Registered
670 Posts
That 15w is going to be a little thick in the winter without a block heater. You will experience more startup wear than normal with the 5w-20 that you should be running, but it should run fine for the most part.

If you have and use a block heater i wouldn't worry about it.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Big trucks are extremely hard to start in the cold, diesels especially.
True, bud that also has to do with the fact that they use compressed air or whatever to make combustion, unlike a gas engine that uses spark, this makes it much harder to start in the cold. A diesel engine needs just as much lubrication after being cold started, though a main difference is that most diesels are allowed to idle and warm up a little in cold weather, so it might end up being a requirement for running it in a car. I can't see it really taking that long for your engine to start getting lubrication, the oil pump puts out quite a bit of flow, if it's thick or not. The thicker the oil, the more likely it will stick to stuff internally, like bearings, there must be a small coating of oil on the bearings left from the last run.

Just my opinion using standard reasoning. If he wants to run it, I'd say go for it. If something bad happens, he could come back and tell us and then we would know for sure.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am guessing that your motor would survive 15W40 but I personally would not do it. It's too thick when very cold and too thick when hot. I'd maybe use it in a beater car though.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Don't put it in the Taurus, that oil is too thick for the passages in the Vulcan engine. Why not just buy some 5w30 dino oil, and a Motorcraft filter at Walmart? Mobil 1 in the 5qt jugs is only around $24, I buy the Mobil 1 extended life jug for $28, and change it every 6-8k, it depends on season, as we have long periods of 100+ degree days here during the summer. I took my Vulcan off 5w20 at 60k.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts