Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, First time posting so be gentle!! :D I just purchase a 98 taurus se with the dohc 24v with 92k miles for $2k. An 87 year old man owned it and it seemed fairly well taken care of. So far I have changed the oil, air filter, fuel filter, trans fluid and filter and front brakes (warped rotors). Its a commuter car and a second vehicle for me while I fix up my cummins. It seems to drive great and handle great and i've been getting between 27-30mpg with it. Now for the questions......First, I noticed the other morning when leaving work that when I turn the heater on, even low settings, the car seems to skip or surge. Its not ridiculously noticable but i can feel it. If i turn the heater off it doesn't do it. Second, My rear defroster doesn't work, I hit the button and the little light doesn't come on and the defrost doesn't work. I checked the fuses and there good. Thirdly, is 28 or 29 mpg good out of one of these cars? I've never owned a car before in my life so I am a little curious... always owned trucks and always Ford....except for my dodge diesel now. Thanks everyone!!!!B)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey guys and gals, First time posting so be gentle!! :D I just purchase a 98 taurus se with the dohc 24v with 92k miles for $2k. An 87 year old man owned it and it seemed fairly well taken care of. So far I have changed the oil, air filter, fuel filter, trans fluid and filter and front brakes (warped rotors). Its a commuter car and a second vehicle for me while I fix up my cummins. It seems to drive great and handle great and i've been getting between 27-30mpg with it. Now for the questions......First, I noticed the other morning when leaving work that when I turn the heater on, even low settings, the car seems to skip or surge. Its not ridiculously noticable but i can feel it. If i turn the heater off it doesn't do it. Second, My rear defroster doesn't work, I hit the button and the little light doesn't come on and the defrost doesn't work. I checked the fuses and there good. Thirdly, is 28 or 29 mpg good out of one of these cars? I've never owned a car before in my life so I am a little curious... always owned trucks and always Ford....except for my dodge diesel now. Thanks everyone!!!!B)
How did you calculate your gas mileage? My car gets roughly around 22 mpg...lol. Also, for your defrosters ever put them on and then feel the back window and see if anything is heating back there?

For the skipping and surging doesn't make to much sense if its the heater, normally the A.C. would do that. Have you checked the spark plugs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you calculate your gas mileage? My car gets roughly around 22 mpg...lol. Also, for your defrosters ever put them on and then feel the back window and see if anything is heating back there?

For the skipping and surging doesn't make to much sense if its the heater, normally the A.C. would do that. Have you checked the spark plugs?

I fill up. then drive 200 or so miles. then fill up again and take the miles i've driven and divide it by the gallons of fuel it took to fill it back up. But I'm also driving 190 miles out of 200 at 55 to 60mph. Very little city driving. I was extremely happy when i calculated that!! haha I have not put the defroster on and then felt the rear window but i have pushed the button and had my window not defrost for an hour long drive home. The spark plugs are the only thing I have not checked or changed... It looks like the back ones are going to be a pain!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Regarding the back plugs in your Duratec engine, its easier if you remove the black plastic, whatchamacallit that your wipers rest on,the thing with the slot holes that the excess rain water drains out. I use to know what it was called but forgot. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. You might just get by with removing the passenger side. I think its held in place with a few plugs that pop with a screwdriver. Once removed you shouldn't have too much hassle with the proper tools,GOOD LUCK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts