Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My name is Tammy and I have a '96 GL with the Vulcan SFI. You'll all have to excuse my ignorance. But I have a couple of questions.

First, I have heard a few people talk about that they removed the intake silencer from there Bull's. What is an intake silencer? What does it do? What is the benefit of removing it? Where is it located? And how do you remove it?

Also I have searched the archives and I must have missed something. I have heard some speak of having CAI for their Vulcans. How do I do that. From my understanding, someone is just now working on a true CAI. But for now how have some of you installed a CAI? Is it complicated? And also. Would rerouting the intake to the radiator fans do any good or would that just be d..du...dumb? See my ignorance is showing. Excuse my newbieisms. But to me these are serious questions. Maybe once I become more mechanically inclined( Hopefully some of you can teach me a thing or two) I won't come off so st...stu...stupid.

So far the most I know how to do is change the oil, the brakes(I love four wheel discs), and I can do a pretty decent tune-up job. Either way, that is pretty much all of my mechanical skils. Thanks anyone in advance for any help you can offer

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry. One more thing. Has anyone tried rerouting the air intake to one of the front airdam openings? Ok, that is all. I think

G

·
Hey there Tammy, welcome to the TCCA first off.

The Intake silencer is like a muffler for the intake. It blocks sound and also could restrict air intake. It's easily removed. The silencer is located in the Driver's side fender. You'll have to remove the fender wall in order to get to it. Hopefully someone has some pics in order to show you a visual on how to remove it. Actually I believe they have it under Modifications in the TCCA Home Page. Eh, I forget... but GOOD LUCK!

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Here's the link for the silencer removal:
http://www.taurusclub.com/modules.php?name...=article&sid=37

The silencer does what you think it would do, it silences the sound or the air entering the intake. If you want more of a growl form your intake, you can remove it.

A CAI is a cold air intake. Most people prefer to use cone filters in making their CAI. To make one, you need a MAF adapter (found at www.draxas.com), some tubing, and a cone filter. You're basically just trying to get the cone filter into the fender well (where the silencer was once located) because that's where the cooler air is located. If you leave the filter in the engine bay, you'll just end up sucking in hot engine air, which will decrease performance. A cone filter will make your Vulcan roar form 2500-3000 RPM's, so if you don't want this sound, just get a K&N panel filter.

Rerouting the intake to the radiator fans would be an absolutely horrible idea. Why you say? Look where the fans are, and then look where the exhaust manifold is. It will get extremely hot there, just decreasing performance. I also don't think rerouting the intake to the air dam will help out much. You get plenty of cool air from the fender well, and you'll just pick up more rocks, leaves, and small animals
by running the intake up front.

Hope this helped, and welcome to the

-Rob

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help you guys and I am glad to be a part of TCCA. I have already found a lot of neat tips.I figured rerouting to the fans wasn't good. But hey you never know till ya ask. Now one more question maybe one of you two can answer. Why would I want more growl from my intake? It would make it louder under the hood right? I like the growl to be coming from the exhaust. Which I will be doing some time this weekend. I am going to dual it out behind my Catback with bigger pipes and thinking about a couple of Summit Turbos Or Flowmasters maybe a 50 Series. Well on second thought maybe two 50's would be too much. The Summits might keep it down to a more refind rumble. Idon't want it to sound like a ricer.

I have alot of things planned for my car. Does anyone know if the flexible exsaust tubing is worth getting or would I be wasting my time? I am going to redo the entire exsaust before anything else. Then i will go to work on the engine.. Then when I have more cashflow I was thinking of seeing about getting a custom body kit made. Nothing to extreme. I saw the body kit petition and am going to sign it. But if all else fails, I will get one custom. But not until my paychecks grow a little. LOL

Either way, I am rambling. Thanks again for the help

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by vulcanalley@Apr 7 2004, 02:40 PM
Does anyone know if the flexible exsaust tubing is worth getting or would I be wasting my time?
I try not to even look at it when I go to the parts store.
Seriously, that stuff is a complete waste... it makes the exhaust flow like crap. The stock pipes are just fine. Get some cheap turbo mufflers and have a local muffler shop put them on. It shouldn't cost you more than $100 altogether.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hiyas Firespirit. Yes all woman here. Glad I am not alone. are there anymore of us?

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Chick?

Why its gotta be a Chick? Why not a Broad, a Honey, a Sweetie, a Sugar, Legs, Hottie, or whatever.

Something really chauvinist, please!

, j/k Ash

Welcome to the Club Tammy

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by acreature@Apr 7 2004, 01:50 PM
Chick?

Why its gotta be a Chick? Why not a Broad, a Honey, a Sweetie, a Sugar, Legs, Hottie, or whatever.

Something really chauvinist, please! 

, j/k Ash

Welcome to the Club Tammy
Cuz I can, you non-chick

And yeah, Tammy, there are more of our kind here.. haha Theres Kim (mysablesnameisbruce), Sarah (detroit_raver), Deb (Taurus00) Erica (sparkychick) .... Well, thats really all who i talk to.. haha if there are any more, they don't normally post that much. Some guys here are like women though - like that one guy - acreature..
Just playin' hun!

Oh and to make myself a lil more formal - My name's Ashley, I own a 97 Taurus GL and a 95 Intrepid ES, I'm 16 years old, and I'm a car addict.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome to the TCCA Tammy!

With regard to the flexible exhaust tubing, yea.. what he said

The growl from the CAI sounds cool, and it does help the engine breathe a little better, nothing big in terms of performance, however it does compliment other mods rather well.

Talking exhaust. If your dead set on getting it redone, going duals, I think the consensus here for best is MANDREL Bent 2.5" diameter Dual Exhaust, which is an expensive custom job. I dunno how much your willin to spend. If you cant afford mandrel bent, your better off just staying with stock exhaust, adding a y-pipe and just adding 2 mufflers. I would recommend the Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 Series, they seem to sound best with the Vulcan engine. However, if your gonna go 40, definitely keep the stock resonator, otherwise OMG, the sound will bug you after a couple of months.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by vulcanalley@Apr 7 2004, 06:46 AM
Sorry. One more thing. Has anyone tried rerouting the air intake to one of the front airdam openings? Ok,  that is all. I think 
Hey Tammy! Welcome to the club!
I'm Hamal, aka Racer X, resident evil genious, and all around troublemaker. Just ask Bob! :evil_grin:
Just kidding...

IIRC, a member who went by the name of Jibberish did that on his Gen2, and it looked and worked halfway decent. He said he never had a problem with it "inhaling" water in the rain.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Apr 7 2004, 12:53 PM
Oh and to make myself a lil more formal - My name's Ashley, I own a 97 Taurus GL and a 95 Intrepid ES, I'm 16 years old, and I'm a car addict.
Don't you mean "crash addict"?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hey, I dont really have much to add other than welcome to the TCCA and there is no such thing as a dumb question here. Thats it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts