Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 96 taurus gl rides really good but its not to good on pot holes what can I do to give it a smooth ride
and does it have struts or shocks i have no clue I dont know s*** about cars

and I know it is a front wheel drive the brakes are in the front but what is the piece that the back tires rest on the come off because I want to paint them but they are corroded as hell can I just buy knew ones paint them and put them on

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
The Taurus uses struts (also called MacPherson struts). The struts and springs work together to give your car its "ride". The springs are what keeps your car from feeling like you're riding in a cart. The energy of the bumps you hit goes into the springs by compressing them. That energy has to go somewhere and if you didn't have struts it would go into making your car bounce up and down on the springs. The struts make the bouncing stop much faster. With good struts the bounce ends almost immediately.

The stock Taurus ride is pretty cushy. When you hit bumps does the car bounce up and down? If that's that problem, your struts may be worn out. You can check them with a bounce test. Push up and down on a fender to get it bouncing then let go. The bouncing should stop right away.

Some Taurus have "disc" brakes in the rear and some have "drum". They all have disc in the front. If you have rear discs it will look like the front, but smaller. You can see a shiny metal disc. If you just see a metal drum with the wheel studs sticking through it, then you have drum brakes.

When you say "corroded" if you mean rusty, the drums usually have a layer of rust. You can't paint onto rust. Also, brakes get hot. Normal paint won't last on the brake drum, even if you paint it onto a new drum. There are kits for painting brake parts that come with cleaner and a special heat resistant paint.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by SableOHC@Mar 3 2004, 11:28 AM
The Taurus uses struts (also called MacPherson struts). The struts and springs work together to give your car its "ride". The springs are what keeps your car from feeling like you're riding in a cart. The energy of the bumps you hit goes into the springs by compressing them. That energy has to go somewhere and if you didn't have struts it would go into making your car bounce up and down on the springs. The struts make the bouncing stop much faster. With good struts the bounce ends almost immediately.

The stock Taurus ride is pretty cushy. When you hit bumps does the car bounce up and down? If that's that problem, your struts may be worn out. You can check them with a bounce test. Push up and down on a fender to get it bouncing then let go. The bouncing should stop right away.

Some Taurus have "disc" brakes in the rear and some have "drum". They all have disc in the front. If you have rear discs it will look like the front, but smaller. You can see a shiny metal disc. If you just see a metal drum with the wheel studs sticking through it, then you have drum brakes.

When you say "corroded" if you mean rusty, the drums usually have a layer of rust. You can't paint onto rust. Also, brakes get hot. Normal paint won't last on the brake drum, even if you paint it onto a new drum. There are kits for painting brake parts that come with cleaner and a special heat resistant paint.
thanks for the info I really apprieciate it

·
Registered
397 Posts
The taurus is not the smoothest ride when it comes to potholes or things in the road.

I actually had a plymouth reliant (K car) that rode better over rough roads than the taurus.

Make sure your tires are inflated properly, about 32 to 35 PSI. this makes a difference. If you don't know how to check tire pressure, next time you go for gas, just go to full service and ask them to check/adjust it.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by impatient95@Mar 3 2004, 04:47 PM
The taurus is not the smoothest ride when it comes to potholes or things in the road.

I actually had a plymouth reliant (K car) that rode better over rough roads than the taurus.
It's easy to give a tiny car like the K series a smooth ride; on boats like our Tauruses, it takes a fair amount of trade offs to maintain both ride quality and safety.

You could either replace the springs and struts with softer ones, giving you a floatier ride that will result in more bottoming out and worse cornering, or get stiffer springs and struts that will give you a much harder ride that will bottom out less and have awesome cornering and braking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts