Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone on TCCA. My name is Donovan and I live in Monee, IL. I just purchased a 99 SHO off ebay (great deal too) and its a Cali (well technically a Arizona car :rolleyes2: ) car. So there is no rust a few scratches and dings, but body is in good shape. It is on it way here from Cali and should be here within a week :D. But the reason I got it so cheap is because the car is running rough (missing and sputtering) and it is getting poor gas mileage and the cam have NOT been welded (as what the owner told me, but he didn't sound so sure). I know that if the rear cam failed the car would still run and sputter. Although after talking to the owner and he told me that he drive the car from Arizona to Califoria (about 3 to 4 hours) and he said he got the car up to 75 MPH. So I highly doubt that the cams have failed yet

So first things first is to get the CAMS WELDED by Eric (which is about 30 minutes from my house) and send find out what would cause the car to sputter and miss? I already know the rear spark plugs need to be changed. The owner also told me that he changed the front spark plugs and they had no juice left in them, but he didn't change the rear sparks. Also Eric said that it might be bad coils. So does anybody know where I can get some cheap coils from (I don't care if they are used, because I already know they are costly.) Also what would would probably make the car run rough.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
AutoZone has about the least expensive coils. Last ones I got there were around $72.00 each. AutoZone will also pull your codes for you for free, if the check engine light is on. 99's are pretty good about throwing cylinder misfire codes.

Other than that, how many miles are on the rear plugs which were not changed?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was just at my favorite bone yard last week and they had a few Sho in fresh.. I would definately check local salvage yards if you want cheap. Sometimes they have them already pulled and offer a swap if one doesnt work -- Just a thought -- Good luck on new Sho!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Rockauto.com. Use the TCCA discount code. Try checking Ebay too. You may also need new wires and dont forget to gap the plugs properly.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The wires on the back valve cover may be melted too. There are no actual plug wires.

I live about 45 miles south of you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Apr 26 2009, 03:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720652
Rockauto.com. Use the TCCA discount code. Try checking Ebay too. You may also need new wires and dont forget to gap the plugs properly.[/b]
Where do I get the TCCA discount code from.

Good news! Just found 4 coils on ebay that came off a wrecked sho and have a gurantee to work for $76.00 plus shipping. I am going to buy these today. Also is there anyway to place the coils on the front because I hear the heat in the back of the engine causes the coils to fail.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (99BullSHOV8 @ Apr 26 2009, 10:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720707
Rockauto.com. Use the TCCA discount code. Try checking Ebay too. You may also need new wires and dont forget to gap the plugs properly.[/b]

Good news! Just found 4 coils on ebay that came off a wrecked sho and have a gurantee to work for $76.00 plus shipping. I am going to buy these today. Also is there anyway to place the coils on the front because I hear the heat in the back of the engine causes the coils to fail.
[/b][/quote]
...are you asking if you can use the same COPs in the front and rear? There's only one type of COP, so you can rotate them to any cylinder.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (Zenriddles @ Apr 25 2009, 07:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720563
AutoZone has about the least expensive coils. Last ones I got there were around $72.00 each. AutoZone will also pull your codes for you for free, if the check engine light is on. 99's are pretty good about throwing cylinder misfire codes.

Other than that, how many miles are on the rear plugs which were not changed?[/b]

QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Apr 26 2009, 10:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720717
QUOTE (99BullSHOV8 @ Apr 26 2009, 10:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720707

[/b][/quote]
...are you asking if you can use the same COPs in the front and rear? There's only one type of COP, so you can rotate them to any cylinder.
[/b][/quote]

The Spark plug and coils have never been changed in the rear (that kinda scared me)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The wires run along the top of the valve cover in the back just like the front. They come out of the loom opposite the front ones over the serpentine belt. They tend to be compressed by the surge tank and melt to the valve cover. I just carefully lift them and encase the existing loom is some more loom but a high temp one.

The runners that attach to the lower intake manifold can stay attached. You loose the rubber connectors, remove the stuff attached to the surge tank and then remove the top bolt of the surge tank rear straps (loosen the lower bolts) an take off the two metal straps that connect the surge tank to the LIM on top.

Then you can take the surge tank and attached runners off in one piece.

then the rear plugs and coils can be easily gotten to.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Apr 26 2009, 04:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720652
This is the second time now that you've been told that the V8 SHO doesn't have plug wires, and for the second time I'm going to tell you to keep your mouth shut if you don't know what you're talking about. One of these days you're going to give some poor newbie bad information, and they're going to blow up an engine.

To the OP:
My suggestion is that you buy four coils and sparkplugs new, and bring them with you to Eric's when you get the cams welded. Eric has to pull the surge tank and coils anyways to do the weld job, and he'd be more than happy to put the new parts in for you I'm sure. Pay attention while he's pulling and reinstalling the surge tank - it's a procedure you'll more than likely have to do yourself at some point.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
QUOTE (99BullSHOV8 @ Apr 26 2009, 12:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720750
QUOTE (Zenriddles @ Apr 25 2009, 07:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720563
Other than that, how many miles are on the rear plugs which were not changed?[/b]
The Spark plug and coils have never been changed in the rear (that kinda scared me)
[/b][/quote]

162,000 miles on the back plugs? Holy Cow!
Um, yeah. I'd expect she'd be running a little rough by now. And yeah, the coils will fit in any hole and have to all come out to get at the cams for welding, so putting the coils back in however you want is no problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey I just got my SHO today and it is nice, but it needs a wash. Anyway it is missing badly, the exhaust is loud, and it has a strong and pure gas smell coming from the exhaust. (My mom said it sounds like a Grand National :lol2:) but yeah it definetly need spark plugs and coils in the rear. I am going to order some today and take the car to eric next saturday for the cam weld.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I look under the car and I found a exhaust leak coming off the rear exhaust manifold (or header) and I also see a bolt screw sitting on top of the rear exhaust manifold not bolted to anything just sitting there like someone took it off and and left it there. Also around the bolt the manifold has water on top of it. So could this leak be causing the car to be loud? I am going to pull the screw out today and see where it came from, but I think is from the headers

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not to be off topic or anything but I saw mentioned a TCCA discount code. I'm about to order 4 quickstruts, endlinks and tierods (inner and outer) from rockauto in like a week or two. Where can I get that code?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts