Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new member here....been reading the forums for a while, finally decided to join. I won a 1998 SE Ford Taurus (only buy American :).....I was wondering what I should do with my car....I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to cars, just know the basics. My car has about 52k miles on it, and in the past year, I had the AC/Heating system fixed ($1k at the dealer).....and after that, I had a problem with the ABS. Fixing the ABS control module is going to cost me another $500.....I bought this car around 2000, and these 2 are the only major problems that have showed up. What do you guys suggest I do now, to maintain and take good care of the car? I'll be commuting this year to college, so I want to keep the car in good condition. Should I do a tune-up, change fluids, oil-change, etc....? I'd appreciate any input on this....I don't know much about cars. Also, how can I tell if I have a MACH audio system?

G

·
you should do all that you have stated... which is changing fluids and a tuneup. What kinda motor do you have? 24V Duratec? or the Vulcan 12V OHV motor?

Sal

G

·
Once of the most important maintenance things to do is to add a tranny cooler and get the fluid flushed about every 20k miles or so, this is a little extreme, but a good idea. :) Get your cooling system flushed about once a year, regular oil changes. With this you should be pretty good.

To tell if you have the Mach audio, the easiest way is to look at the tweeter pods on the doors and they will have a "Mach Badge".

Welcome to the club. B)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice :)....I'm already learning. I should really take a look at the engine....just opening up the hood and feeling that warmth scares me :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Aug 19 2004, 10:30 PM
Once of the most important maintenance things to do is to add a tranny cooler and get the fluid flushed about every 20k miles or so, this is a little extreme, but a good idea. :)
:thumb:

I'd definately recommend getting new fluid in the trans and adding a cooler.

and welcome!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Originally posted by rvk2@Aug 19 2004, 10:44 PM
Nice :)....I'm already learning. I should really take a look at the engine....just opening up the hood and feeling that warmth scares me :unsure:
hehehe. :lol2:
welcome. get ready to face some cut & nicks on you knuckles. Sometimes burns - if you work on a warm motor (as you describe ;) )

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
To determine the status of the engine, you don't need to look under the hood. Since you have a 98, if it's the Duratec, you'll have a 24V DOHC badge before the front doors on either side. You'll also have dual exhaust. If you have the Vulcan (12 V pushrod engine), you'll not have any badges, and you'll only have one muffler.

Welcome to the club!

JR

·
Registered
285 Posts
Welcome to the club!

You've taken an important first step towards caring for your car already - introducing yourself in this site. B)

I recommend getting a Chilton's or Haynes manual on the car. If you've got a little extra cash, the factory service manuals are available from Helm, Inc. for about $120. But you REALLY get what you pay for, with these! My set stacks up to around 8 inches tall, or so.

Do you have tools and a place to tinker?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts