Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello group,
This is my first post here. I'm hoping to get some help from the gurus. I have a 2000 Sable with a Duratec at about 125Kmiles.

1. About a month or so ago I noticed engine missing and hestitation during accleration, particularly when the engine is under load and at low RPM. If I step on the gas a little more the missing goes away.

2. Engine will start, but during warm up engine will miss. Idle will drop to almost stalling. Constant feathering of throttle keeps the engine from stalling during warm up. Idle is OK when warm except for #3 below.

3. At idle with engine warm, engine will miss occasionally. This is especially true when A/C is on.

4. About two weeks ago I threw the P0171 and P0174 codes.

PCV?
DPFE?
IAC?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks in advance,
Gene in Baltimore

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good chance its a vacuum leak at your PCV hose...seems to be a common problem lately with that gen duratec. Do a search with those codes as keywords and you'll find LOTS of discussion with that issue...or check out this link
http://www.taurusclub.com/wiki/index.php/G..._P0174_Solution
[/b]

Ok, replaced PCV valve and attending hose. Problem still exists. Should I tell my mechanic to track down any vacuum leaks first or should I pursue other avenues?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Ok, replaced PCV valve and attending hose. Problem still exists. Should I tell my mechanic to track down any vacuum leaks first or should I pursue other avenues?
[/b]

You should not need to tell your mechanic to track down vacuum leaks for these codes... that should be common sense for any mechanic with a brain.

A collapsed PCV hose is the most common cause for these two codes simultaneously. Since you have checked that, check for any vacuum leaks or possibly failing intake manifold gaskets (rare but does happen). When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
damn everyone has this problem, my 02 sable has it as well, both those codes.

is it necessary to remove the UIM to replace that piece?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

You should not need to tell your mechanic to track down vacuum leaks for these codes... that should be common sense for any mechanic with a brain.

A collapsed PCV hose is the most common cause for these two codes simultaneously. Since you have checked that, check for any vacuum leaks or possibly failing intake manifold gaskets (rare but does happen). When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?
[/b][/quote]

Fuel filter is probably original. I've had the car for three years and haven't changed it. For the benefit of others, I will continue to post regarding the outcome.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Fuel filter is probably original. I've had the car for three years and haven't changed it. For the benefit of others, I will continue to post regarding the outcome.
[/b]
The fuel filter should be replaced every 30k miles, so regardless if this is or is not the cause of your problem, it's long overdue for replacement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
The fuel filter should be replaced every 30k miles, so regardless if this is or is not the cause of your problem, it's long overdue for replacement.
[/b][/quote]

Agreed. I just saw the maintenance schedule in my Haynes manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hopefully, I'll lend a hand with this topic, as my 2000 Duratec Taurus was doing the EXACT same thing. Mine was also throwing EGR codes, as well, but after replacing all EGR components, an IAC, Plugs, Fuel Filters, DFPE, and anything else I could think of, I finally came upon the answer, and thought I'd share.

My problem ended up being both sets of intake manifold gaskets. I replaced both the upper and lower gasket o-rings, and as if it were a brand new car, hasn't had the problem since.

For a $15 fix, I couldn't be happier. I replaced everything under the sun trying to figure out what was wrong, and a mechanic friend of mine pointed me towards these gaskets.

Hopefully this will help some folks, I was also told this seems to be a pretty common problem, so I'd imagine yours was doing the same thing as mine. What a pain in the ass problem though, nothing more embarrassing than restarting your Taurus at a stop light, in the middle of rush hour traffic :(.

Jason

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wrench replaced UIM gaskets three days ago. Things seem to be OK now, plenty of power, no stumbling, and the temperature outisde this wekeend was in the teens, car started and ran fine.. Will update thread if things get worse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts