Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
newb here. car at issue is a 1996 gl, has 82,000 miles on it
ok, my son rear ended another car, i'd estimate about 15, mph at impact, hit was primary on passenger side front to mid. pushed back the passenger quarter about a half inch maybe, cracked the radiator support bracket, pushed it back into the alternator, power steering pump, radiator. popped both air bags. Bumper support is fine, not touched, hit was high.

I think I can fix this. Anyone had issues replacing airbags? I think most parts i'm looking at are bolt on.

on taking off the passenger side quarter, any suggestions? it pushed back enough that the passenger door won't open and I'm 99% sure that there is a bolt or two I need to get to inside that door to get that fender off.

I'd welcome any and all comments and anyone who can post or send me blowups or schematics of the areas I will need to replace.
FYI, the car still starts and runs, though makes some funky noises (one of the fan housing is cracked) and the transmission indicator doesn't line up now with rnpdl. But I drove it a couple of miles and its at the house now.

thanks

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
newb here. car at issue is a 1996 gl, has 82,000 miles on it
ok, my son rear ended another car, i'd estimate about 15, mph at impact, hit was primary on passenger side front to mid. pushed back the passenger quarter about a half inch maybe, cracked the radiator support bracket, pushed it back into the alternator, power steering pump, radiator. popped both air bags. Bumper support is fine, not touched, hit was high.

I think I can fix this. Anyone had issues replacing airbags? I think most parts i'm looking at are bolt on.

on taking off the passenger side quarter, any suggestions? it pushed back enough that the passenger door won't open and I'm 99% sure that there is a bolt or two I need to get to inside that door to get that fender off.

I'd welcome any and all comments and anyone who can post or send me blowups or schematics of the areas I will need to replace.
FYI, the car still starts and runs, though makes some funky noises (one of the fan housing is cracked) and the transmission indicator doesn't line up now with rnpdl. But I drove it a couple of miles and its at the house now.

thanks
Would it be possible for you to post some photos?

From searching the forums, I gather that there are two bolts you would access by opening the door. If this is true, you will have to bend the fender enough to open the door or possibly cut enough of the fender with a reciprocating saw to access the bolts/open the door, or maybe cut the area of the fender that the bolts attach to. Get creative. You might have to destroy the fender to save the door.

·
Registered
697 Posts
PM me with your email and I can send you a section from the Ford service DVD re fender removal.

Here is text from that section, the rest of the doc is a diagram of the screw locations.:

Removal and Installation

1. Remove RH cowl vent screen (018A16) and LH cowl vent screen (018A17) .

2. Remove RH hood hinge (16796), LH hood hinge (16797) and hood (16612) as described. Remove the front bumper cover (17D957). Refer to «Section 01-19».

3. Remove four screws on each side retaining RH front fender (16005) and LH front fender (16006).

4. Remove RH front fender splash shield (16102) and LH front fender splash shield (16103) as described.

5. Remove floor side member moulding. Refer to «Section 01-08».

6. Remove two screws retaining lower rear of front fender to body side.

7. Remove two retaining bolts from catwalk area of front fender retaining it to front fender apron (16054). Remove front fender.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My very first order of business would be to find out the airbag replacement procedure. To me that would dictate whether or not the car should be touched. Airbags are very hard to find at junkyards and sometimes there is reprogramming/module replacement involved, someone here may know for sure on a '96.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts

Item Part Number Description
1 02732-3 Bracket
2 16054 Front Fender Apron
3 16005 Front Fender
4 N808825-S Spacer (1 Req'd Each Side)
5 N606676-S301 Screw (6 Req'd Each Side)
6 N623332-S310 J-Nut (2 Req'd Each Side)
7 02722-3 Bracket
A -- Tighten to 8-10 N-m (71-89 Lb-In)

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
I am pretty sure the airbag module needs to be replaced if airbags went off. It also sounds like the "frame" is bent and needs to be pulled straight by a body shop with a frame machine. That will probably be around $500 alone. I would at minimum have it checked to be sure it isnt bent. It is very hard to tell just by looking at it.

It sounds to me like the hit was at alot more than 15 mph.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I am pretty sure the airbag module needs to be replaced if airbags went off. It also sounds like the "frame" is bent and needs to be pulled straight by a body shop with a frame machine. That will probably be around $500 alone. I would at minimum have it checked to be sure it isnt bent. It is very hard to tell just by looking at it.

It sounds to me like the hit was at alot more than 15 mph.
I wouldn't bother if the car is badly bent or crumpled. Its a 1996 after all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, thanks for the comments, here's an update.
And before I start, yes, I know, it's an 1996. But it was really clean, and only has 80,000 miles. Also, this is the second wreck my 17 year old has had. I told him after the first, and I found this, no more. So, if he's not going to be walking, I wanted to take a shot. Also, good experience for the kid. Start getting better at wrench turning. Also, used car prices are up significantly from a year ago. Just my initial looking for info, I can't find a similar car within $1,000 of what I paid for this. And my initial parts list was around $1,500.00, I can't get a car worth anything for that, let alone with 80k miles. ,

Anyway, started getting parts off, and it got worse. Engine seems to have popped off the engine mount, and tore the CV boot. Grease is everywhere. That may be the stake in my heart. I'm having a guy who works on my cars come by and take a look, but that may be the thing that makes it not worth while. One thing to get parts, bolt on off, another to also get into mechanical repairs. I can see spending $1500 or so, but not 2000 to 2500. I don't have an engine lift to pull it up to get it back on the motor mount, etc, and not really sure how much trouble that would be. The mount would have to be replaced also, it split in half, apparently, in looking at it, it's two pieces.

Hopefully I can find someone other than the local junkyard, who needs a very good parts car with a drive train with only 80k miles on it. Car was clean as a whistle, except for the front now.

Appreciate the comments and the PM's. I'll update if something interesting pops up.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
ok, thanks for the comments, here's an update.
And before I start, yes, I know, it's an 1996. But it was really clean, and only has 80,000 miles. Also, this is the second wreck my 17 year old has had. I told him after the first, and I found this, no more. So, if he's not going to be walking, I wanted to take a shot. Also, good experience for the kid. Start getting better at wrench turning. Also, used car prices are up significantly from a year ago. Just my initial looking for info, I can't find a similar car within $1,000 of what I paid for this. And my initial parts list was around $1,500.00, I can't get a car worth anything for that, let alone with 80k miles. ,

Anyway, started getting parts off, and it got worse. Engine seems to have popped off the engine mount, and tore the CV boot. Grease is everywhere. That may be the stake in my heart. I'm having a guy who works on my cars come by and take a look, but that may be the thing that makes it not worth while. One thing to get parts, bolt on off, another to also get into mechanical repairs. I can see spending $1500 or so, but not 2000 to 2500. I don't have an engine lift to pull it up to get it back on the motor mount, etc, and not really sure how much trouble that would be. The mount would have to be replaced also, it split in half, apparently, in looking at it, it's two pieces.

Hopefully I can find someone other than the local junkyard, who needs a very good parts car with a drive train with only 80k miles on it. Car was clean as a whistle, except for the front now.

Appreciate the comments and the PM's. I'll update if something interesting pops up.
To me, it sounds like the subframe got bent. You'll need some way of supporting the engine/transmission if you have to replace it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Why don't you post the pictures you PM'd me so that others can weigh-in? It actually looks like the engine separated from the subframe at the motor mount but didn't look too bad frame-wise. The inner CV joint on the passenger half-shaft looked destroyed but replacement half-shafts are not that expensive.

You may not need an engine hoist, just a floor jack to raise and support the engine while you replace the motor mount.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
^+1 A floor jack and a stout board for support to distribute the weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pics

Why don't you post the pictures you PM'd me so that others can weigh-in? It actually looks like the engine separated from the subframe at the motor mount but didn't look too bad frame-wise. The inner CV joint on the passenger half-shaft looked destroyed but replacement half-shafts are not that expensive.

You may not need an engine hoist, just a floor jack to raise and support the engine while you replace the motor mount.

well, not sure how to attach pics, problems with being a newb, I'll look around here some more

·
Registered
697 Posts
You need to upload the images to a photo hosting service like imageshack, photobucket, flickr, yahoo or picasa. These are free but require registering to set up an account.

Then use the 'insert image' function in the post creation function to link to the image at the hosting service.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts