Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about taking a trip to nyc.. prolly in mid may. maybe june.. going to see a broadway show or two, visit some of the attractions. probably a friday through sunday trip. driving through canada if possible, unless the passport law thing went into effect, then i will be going through the states, which takes about 9-10hrs. nothing major. leave friday super early in the morning or thursday and drive through the night so i can be in downtown for daytime friday excitement.

what are some good places to stay? i dont want to spend a complete **** ton on hotel. is it worth staying right in downtown? or do i stay in one of the burbs? what are taxi rates like there? do hotels include car parking? or is that extra? the one broadway show im seeing is "west side story" cause it just came back and its one of my girl's faves. what else is there to see down there? i want to ride the subway, cause that seems fun, lol. ive never done it. i also want to go up in a really tall building, and go on a stroll through central park.

Also a must is going to be visiting Hamal. its been too long since i've seen him. maybe i'll camp out in his backyard haha. he can give us the Hamal driving experience through NYC like he did for my twin sis a few years back. maybe i can hunt down Zack on his scooter while in in Manhatten. hahahah

any ideas would be cool.
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
bypass NYC (but pick Hamal up first), head to Brookfield CT, commence beer consumption with me and mel. Much more enjoyable :p

·
Registered
223 Posts
truthfully hotels in nyc will be high rates, i think that cabs are expensive but they are good since its hard to find places to fill up in the city. If i was you id stay in a hotel outside of nyc and travel to the city in the day however the only problem there would be finding parking in the city. Parking in the city ranges from like 20-40$ if you go to a garage. if you do decide to drive to the city from a hotel in the burbs make sure you fill up before you go or at least know where to fill up at the city this way you wont run out of gas. Too bad your goin in may-june cus ur goin to miss the Javits auto convention, its fun, i go every year http://www.autoshowny.com/ the new taurus will be there...

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
There's a Hilton Garden Inn and the Staten Island Hotel out in Staten Island by me, both of them are right next to the highway that goes into Manhattan via Brooklyn (I-278). They're both nice areas, have plenty of local restaurants if you'd rather eat at the hotel one night (but why would you?? lol). If you didn't want to drive into the city, you could park at the famous Staten Island Ferry which is like $7 to park all day/night and the ride itself is free into and out of the city. There's plenty of subway lines from the Manhattan side (1, R, W and 6 trains) that will take you pretty much anywhere in Manhattan. Otherwise, expect to pay $20+ for garages depending where they are, what time of day/day of the week and how long you park.

For a tall building, nothing beats the Empire State Building Observation Deck, which is like $40 for you and your girl. It's incredible, I've lived here my whole life and I was still amazed by the views. The Empire State Building is on 5th Avenue between 34th Street and 33rd Street.

I could go on about what to do and see, but those should basically cover what you asked about. Anything else feel free to ask!

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
Trips to big cities FTW! B)

When I was in Chicago last month (probably my 4th time there) I couldn't believe how expensive parking, etc. had gotten.

Parking overnight at my hotel was $42!! I figured I could find a better deal somewhere else and just take a taxi or walk back to the hotel... I was wrong!

Plus, some of the garages tried to charge like $5-10 extra just because I had an Expedition and it was big. :rolleyes2:

Anyway, Mario knows I always stick to Marriott hotels and their wonderful rewards program. :D You can get some pretty reasonable rates with them in downtown areas even in the big cities.

I only paid around $80/night for a FairField Inn downtown Chicago, got a suite at the Renaissance for around $99. I don't know if it's because it was off-season or if I got promo rates thru the rewards program or what but I was pleasantly surprised.

To go around 6 blocks in a taxi in Chicago was like just under $5 (plus tip).

Overall, not including gas, I'd probably be prepared to spend at least around $600 for a long weekend for two in a big city (hotels, meals, etc.). Of course, that depends how nice of places you're eating and everything, too.

We should have a NYC meet sometime this year... they were good ones in the past from what people have posted. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to them. It'd be nice to see Hamal and everyone again.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Chicago is so clean and empty compared to NYC, i was shocked. It was also extremely cold and windy. Also i would recommend going to a restaurant named Tao I forgot where it was located, but it was really nice. You need to make reservations like months in advance though.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Mario, do what Sarah did, and find a hotel in Jersey City, NJ. The PATH train from there into downtown Manhattan is like 15 minutes, and you'll save a **** ton on hotel rates and parking.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
First thing: cars are not practical in the city! You must learn the bus rts and the subway, it's the best way to get around any large city. You do not want to attempt to drive in NYC, unless you've done it before, it's a PITA even for urban novices. The cheapest motels would be over in Jersey, there's some really cheap motels in Hackensack, if you're willing to stay that far out, but they're kind of ghetto over there. I would look online for motels near a train into the city, it would make the trip both affordable and enjoyable with ease of public transportation. NYC is expensive for everything, but smart planning can trim down the costs.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I hate driving in cities. Driven in Chicago many times. Traffic is horrible, other drivers are ********, parking is horrible, and I just don't trust my car in Chicago...

Now I just take the train into the city, and will pay cab fare or public transportation than deal with parking, driving, etc. Hell, I can take the train from the suburbs to the city for about $10 both ways, I don't pay gas that I waste sitting in traffic, I don't pay parking (Just walk to the train station from my house, or pay $1 to park by my house), or spend $20+ for parking for a few hours, waste about 1/4 tank of gas, and the hassle.

From what I've seen though, I cannot imagine driving in NYC. Chicago I can tolerate if I have to, but NYC... Lol no.

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
Maybe I'm crazy but I've driven through Chicago and NYC multiple times and I enjoy it! B)

I went through NYC once with the Expedition while towing a car hauler and Chicago once with a Suburban towing a ~14ft enclosed trailer. :D :lol:

... now paying the double parking rates and finding somewhere that trailers would even fit wasn't so much fun...

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Hey Mario, stop in Buffalo!

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
If Ashley comes, u def gotta stop in Buffalo then!

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Come up so you can go to the MASS-ive meet. :D It'd be nice to see you again, remember it's been since 05 since you got lost in Belchertown :lol2:

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
If you asked me i would tell you not to waste your time! NYC is the dirtiest, trashiest place i have ever been to! The people are not friendly and could give a **** less about you visiting thier city! WHAT EVER YOU DO! STAY AWAY from the port Authority double decker bus tours! WORTS TOUR EVER! DO NOT stay in Jersey! It may ssem like a quick trip into the city from there but i feared for my life even staying in a pretty decent hotel! I went prior to 9/11 but i dought things have changed!

·
Registered
223 Posts
i love to drive in the city, i drive there for my job and sometimes for fun, as long as you dont go during rush hours youll be good. From experience in NYC drive a 21' box truck, nobody will mess with you(cept cabbies dont mess with them.)

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
QUOTE (Call_Me_Crazy @ Mar 28 2009, 03:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713147
If you asked me i would tell you not to waste your time! NYC is the dirtiest, trashiest place i have ever been to! The people are not friendly and could give a **** less about you visiting thier city! WHAT EVER YOU DO! STAY AWAY from the port Authority double decker bus tours! WORTS TOUR EVER! DO NOT stay in Jersey! It may ssem like a quick trip into the city from there but i feared for my life even staying in a pretty decent hotel! I went prior to 9/11 but i dought things have changed![/b]
I'm sorry that your last trip here (over 8 years ago, really?) wasn't the greatest, but to be honest, that trip had to be the exception to the rule. I showed Mario's sister around midtown a few years ago, and she had a ball. I don't see why Mario wouldn't enjoy himself either.

Also... the Port Authority doesn't run a tour operation. They just run the airports, the ports, and one of the ferry lines. The double decker tour buses are all private operations, Greyline, etc. Next time you're in time, you should post up so one of the NY'ers here (I'm not the only one on here, btw) can give you a heads up where to go, and where to stay. Otherwise, you'll wind up staying in Newark, NJ (again? lol) or somewhere equally as risky.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts