Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1992 Sable LS Wagon came with a very nice set of factory valve covers that had Mercury and 3.8L on them. They were chromed or plated. I took the car to a mechanic to get the heads fixed. When the car came back he claimed the valve covers leaked. In their place he had substituted some badly painted black Ford valve covers.

I want to get some new, correct valve covers for the engine.

Where should I look?

Thanks,

Neal Lewis

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
My 1992 Sable LS Wagon came with a very nice set of factory valve covers that had Mercury and 3.8L on them. They were chromed or plated. I took the car to a mechanic to get the heads fixed. When the car came back he claimed the valve covers leaked. In their place he had substituted some badly painted black Ford valve covers.

I want to get some new, correct valve covers for the engine.

Where should I look?

Thanks,

Neal Lewis
[/b]
Somehow, I have serious doubts that the valve covers themselves were leaking. Maybe he swiped them for himself? :dunno:

Not to mention, you have the right to keep parts after a repair, unless it is a warranty repair or recall. You should have asked to have the valve covers back.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I've seen those twice before, they are custom parts that are:

(a) RARE. I mean uber rare. Rarer than the factory black basketweaves.
(b) Expensive.

3.8L valve covers don't leak, and if they ever do, they're fixable. Call your mechanic and get your **** back.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Those are probably aftermarket if they're chrome. Chrome-plated valve covers can leak if the gasket surface is plated.

However, that mechanic had no right to replace them without asking you first. Go back and raise hell until you get the covers back or the cost of a pair of chromed valve covers.

If that were my car I'd be tearing the mechanic a new one, that's for sure.

They do make plain chrome valve covers for the 3.8 but I don't know that they fit our cars.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I've seen those twice before, they are custom parts that are:

(a) RARE. I mean uber rare. Rarer than the factory black basketweaves.
(b) Expensive.
[/b]
All the more reason why I think his mechanic just swiped 'em. Damn prick. I'd be bullsh**!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts