Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am a new user to this forum. I very knowledgeable with regards to the Ford EEC. I was also involved in the development of the SCT software and will be around to answer any quesitons and help out any way I can.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Sweet. Could you download all your knowledge to my brain please

No, but seriously, welcome to the club and great to have you here. We're looking for someone who know how to rip appart a binary, find out spark tables, shift points, and air/fuel ratios to do some custom tuning!

-Dan

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Sweet! Welcome aboard

I got the first tech question :-D

What kind of a/f ratio works best for the boosted 3.8 engine? I hear that "these engine liked to run rich to make power" but thats not saying much.

Also got any idea on timing for abou 11psi?
Stock supercoupe is in the 25* range but from the factory its always conservative, i've heard of people running 28-29 with a big FMIC and 15PSI, what do u think?

J

·
0 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the club!

My first question, do you do any programming of chips, diablosport in particular? or do you know of anyone that does them?

Thanks,

-Jason

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by DMX@Jan 16 2004, 12:11 AM
Sweet! Welcome aboard

What kind of a/f ratio works best for the boosted 3.8 engine? I hear that "these engine liked to run rich to make power" but thats not saying much.

Stock supercoupe is in the 25* range but from the factory its always conservative, i've heard of people running 28-29 with a big FMIC and 15PSI, what do u think?
I'd say about 11.7 to 11.8 withouth an intercooler, and about 12-12.1 with an intercooler.

As for timing, I really don't like runninig "fixed timing." I'd recommend placing the ACT after the blower and IC and dialing in a timing table that will take timing as boost/heat increases. Acctual tiing would thus vary depending upon conditions, but would always be maximized nonetheless, while still keeping the car safe.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by jason8225@Jan 16 2004, 12:21 AM
Hi! Welcome to the club!

My first question, do you do any programming of chips, diablosport in particular? or do you know of anyone that does them?

Thanks,

-Jason
Yes, I do program chips. I use SCT blanks and can reprogram Diablo blanks, if they are the black-colored blanks.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by americanmotorsport.com+Jan 16 2004, 12:48 AM-->QUOTE (americanmotorsport.com @ Jan 16 2004, 12:48 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-jason8225
@Jan 16 2004, 12:21 AM
Hi! Welcome to the club! 

My first question, do you do any programming of chips, diablosport in particular?  or do you know of anyone that does them?

Thanks,

-Jason 
Yes, I do program chips. I use SCT blanks and can reprogram Diablo blanks, if they are the black-colored blanks. [/b]
Are you still able to program it even if it already has "a program" on it? I do have a black one that I need to get programmed. I just want to use it to tune the car for 91+ octane as well as firm up shifts, etc.

Thanks,

-Jason

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by americanmotorsport.com@Jan 16 2004, 12:52 AM
Yes, I can. I would have to make a program from scratch though.
Sweet!
Could you let me know on a cost, etc? Feel free to PM me if you want to.

B

·
0 Posts
Alberto, welcome to the site, and thanks for helping out our members. I'm sure we'll get some feedback on your services, at which point we can move forward with advertising and sponsorship.

Thanks for helping out!

~Bob

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
OK, I have a question... about MAFs.. My 2000 has a MAF that integrates the IAT sensor in the MAF, while my budy has a '98 taurus that has his mounted to the air box. Eventually I'd like to go to a larger MAF setup and I bought a MAF from a late 90's E3250 and although the connector fits either, it doesn't have an integrated IAT sensor. Is there a vehicle you know of that does have the integrated sensor that I could use on my car. This other one is an 80mm MAF I got used for 36 bucks.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Sweet! Hey, welcome to the club!

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Originally posted by americanmotorsport.com+Jan 16 2004, 12:46 AM-->QUOTE (americanmotorsport.com @ Jan 16 2004, 12:46 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-DMX
@Jan 16 2004, 12:11 AM
Sweet! Welcome aboard

What kind of a/f ratio works best for the boosted 3.8 engine?  I hear that "these engine liked to run rich to make power" but thats not saying much. 

I'd say about 11.7 to 11.8 withouth an intercooler, and about 12-12.1 with an intercooler.

As for timing, I really don't like runninig "fixed timing." I'd recommend placing the ACT after the blower and IC and dialing in a timing table that will take timing as boost/heat increases. Acctual tiing would thus vary depending upon conditions, but would always be maximized nonetheless, while still keeping the car safe. [/b]
Oh the timing isnt fixed here, I was just looking for a starting point of sorts. The way I have it now (@ WOT) is

14' 2232
15' 2416
16' 2672
17' 3032
18' 3312
19' 3496
20' 3608
21' 3712
22' 3856
23' 3904
24' 5040

I'm sure I can ramp it up some more in places, its just how much and where thats a little foggy. The knock sensor is only on the supercoupe engine so the Mustang and Taurus guys dont have the luxury of relying on that to keep them safe under boost.

The ACT is also in the right spot, its on the pressure side right after the IC before it enters the lower intake. The IC is one of those Grand National units, its probably not the most efficient in the world, but its a highly recommended factory piece, and it *DEFINATELY* makes a difference after a little spirited driving - pop the hood and the inlet piping will be very hot to the touch, the outlet - luke warm.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by dant98@Jan 16 2004, 11:56 AM
OK, I have a question... about MAFs.. My 2000 has a MAF that integrates the IAT sensor in the MAF, while my budy has a '98 taurus that has his mounted to the air box. Eventually I'd like to go to a larger MAF setup and I bought a MAF from a late 90's E3250 and although the connector fits either, it doesn't have an integrated IAT sensor. Is there a vehicle you know of that does have the integrated sensor that I could use on my car. This other one is an 80mm MAF I got used for 36 bucks.

-Dan
01 Mustang GT's have an integrated IAT sensor, amont others. If you are going to go with foprged induction, I would splice in a seperate IAT and mount it after the blower/turbo thought. If N/A, just make sure the wiring is the same on an 01 GT MAF. However, unless you are adding a power adder, you do not need a larger MAF. Also remember that whenever you change MAF's, you must have a chip or reflash to adjust for this.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by DMX+Jan 16 2004, 12:22 PM-->QUOTE (DMX @ Jan 16 2004, 12:22 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 12:46 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-DMX
@Jan 16 2004, 12:11 AM
Sweet! Welcome aboard

What kind of a/f ratio works best for the boosted 3.8 engine?  I hear that "these engine liked to run rich to make power" but thats not saying much. 

As for timing, I really don't like runninig "fixed timing." I'd recommend placing the ACT after the blower and IC and dialing in a timing table that will take timing as boost/heat increases. Acctual tiing would thus vary depending upon conditions, but would always be maximized nonetheless, while still keeping the car safe.
Oh the timing isnt fixed here, I was just looking for a starting point of sorts. The way I have it now (@ WOT) is

14' 2232
15' 2416
16' 2672
17' 3032
18' 3312
19' 3496
20' 3608
21' 3712
22' 3856
23' 3904
24' 5040

I'm sure I can ramp it up some more in places, its just how much and where thats a little foggy. The knock sensor is only on the supercoupe engine so the Mustang and Taurus guys dont have the luxury of relying on that to keep them safe under boost.

The ACT is also in the right spot, its on the pressure side right after the IC before it enters the lower intake. The IC is one of those Grand National units, its probably not the most efficient in the world, but its a highly recommended factory piece, and it *DEFINATELY* makes a difference after a little spirited driving - pop the hood and the inlet piping will be very hot to the touch, the outlet - luke warm. [/b]
What are you using to tune? How are you modifying for air temp, ECT, VE, etc? Are these your input timing values or the end result?

·
Registered
52 Posts
...say...dmx...how did you mount the eaton to your intake manifold, did you have to have something custom machined?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts