Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been thinking about this for awhile as my car needs a new transmission. should i go off and try to find a cheap transmission with low miles on it, get a new one, or get a rebuild kit and go with it that way? i wanna keep the car for a lil bit longer till i have the money to go off and buy a new one. but i just need to get a lil bit more out of it for the time being. ive seen the repair kits for the ax4n tranny thats in my car for about 300-500 bucks. which isnt bad. but what i need to know is if it comes with everything you would need to replace all that stuff. such as the bands and seals and gaskets or whatever.

ne advise whatsoever would be appreciated alot. thanks guys and gals :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
ive been thinking about this for awhile as my car needs a new transmission. should i go off and try to find a cheap transmission with low miles on it, get a new one, or get a rebuild kit and go with it that way? i wanna keep the car for a lil bit longer till i have the money to go off and buy a new one. but i just need to get a lil bit more out of it for the time being. ive seen the repair kits for the ax4n tranny thats in my car for about 300-500 bucks. which isnt bad. but what i need to know is if it comes with everything you would need to replace all that stuff. such as the bands and seals and gaskets or whatever.

ne advise whatsoever would be appreciated alot. thanks guys and gals :)
I rebuilt my AX4S-cost about $500 with upgrade kits. Get a copy of the factory service manuals from e-bay if you decide to do it yourself. Here's the links:

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/156770-if-has-come-out.html

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/156628-transmission-fluid-leak.html

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Aftermarket rebuild kit with beefed performance parts....
...and an aftermarket cooler added to the stock setup...

·
Registered
198 Posts
rebuilt is better than used and beefed up is better than stock. so, rebuild it with beefed up parts(shift kit, heavy duty cluches ect.) i might end up rebuilding my trans 2 before the year is over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I jus looked, so I take it what I'm wanting is an overhaul kit correct? Would I want to get a master kit that come with the friction clutch plates n steel plates or what?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts