Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I just bought a 2001 Ford Taurus, one owner, garage kept, dealer serviced since new, 74,000 original miles.
All original, looks brand new. Paid $2,000 for it.
It has some issues:
1) Doors lock...but won't unlock. Passenger door is completely dead. Probably the actuator.
2) Where's the fuel filter?
3) It needs a coolant flush....badly.
4) Trans needs a service as well. Is there a band adjustment?
5) Transmission downshifts, but you really have to push the pedal down almost all the way. Is there a way to adjust upshifts and downshifts?

That's it. I can't find anything else wrong with it. The car is mint.....like brand new.

Thanks, OldOG

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
Welcome.
Tran no adjustment, all electronic control. It is "adaptive" in it adjusts to your driving habits. Disconnect the negative bat cable for a few minutes and reconnect. It will to default. If you need state inspection, do not do that. It needs "drive cycle" to be ready for inspection.
Fuel filter is under the pas side near the rear. One year only filter and there is a bit of a trick, talk about later.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Welcome. Sweet find. I had two of these and I can share the problems that I had. Like it was mentioned above one year only fuel system that regulated pressure mechanically in the tank by recirculating from filter. Both of my fuel pumps died at 100k miles while the other Taurus lasted life of car. Looks like a Vulcan engine which I had issues with the timing valve cover gasket on all of my Taurus.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings. I just bought a 2001 Ford Taurus, one owner, garage kept, dealer serviced since new, 74,000 original miles.
All original, looks brand new. Paid $2,000 for it.
It has some issues:
1) Doors lock...but won't unlock. Passenger door is completely dead. Probably the actuator.
2) Where's the fuel filter?
3) It needs a coolant flush....badly.
4) Trans needs a service as well. Is there a band adjustment?
5) Transmission downshifts, but you really have to push the pedal down almost all the way. Is there a way to adjust upshifts and downshifts?

That's it. I can't find anything else wrong with it. The car is mint.....like brand new.

Thanks, OldOG View attachment 218934
i have a 2002 Taurus SES deluxe 67420k miles im having some interesting issues with mine like the fact i can now hear my fuel pump over the engine , my blower fan went of last week when i turn it on it makes a grinding sound and releases a puff of some out the vents , it always thick the parking brake is on i thing the sensor is broken, despite all this it manages to drive just fine , How it does this i dont know , i had a 2003 Buick LeSabre before this , one day id love to own a Taurus SHO like Conan o Brian has .... I also have the same issue with it down shifting i think that may just be a 4th gen taurus thing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi welcome ide recommemd not flushing the trans but do a tranny fluid change at the pan and change the filter and if your a rebel put a drain plug in it or get a pan .. rock aut has the pan with the plug and prob order motorcrafy fluid on amazoon .... flushing can be bad for trans at it can disslodge seals and not the fluffy white baby ones ..and loosen debri after said flush .....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone used AmsOil synthetic trans fluid in the Ford transmission?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice find! Check your heat before it gets cold weather to see if you're getting hot air. Else, your heater coil may be clogged, especially if the coolant looks bad and it's been sitting a lot. Search here for Clinton Flush for how to flush the heater coil.

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
Welcome.
Tran no adjustment, all electronic control. It is "adaptive" in it adjusts to your driving habits. Disconnect the negative bat cable for a few minutes and reconnect. It will to default. If you need state inspection, do not do that. It needs "drive cycle" to be ready for inspection.
Fuel filter is under the pas side near the rear. One year only filter and there is a bit of a trick, talk about later.
-chart-
As to '01 filter, it uses 2 different sizes of clips. 3 nipples.
It is bolted up above the filter out of sight and if there is rust, may not be able to remove the bolt.
Thus, I push the old filter out of it's bracket, push the new filter out of it's bracket.
Put the new filter in the old bracket.
Saves a lot of pain.
-chart-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. I spent hours at the local wrecking yard looking for small parts.
So far I'm really happy with it.
I just got hammered by a mod because of my "slow-Joe" avatar. No warning.....just the hammer.
I will pic another avatar.....like a baby kitten or something. Something harmless and cute.

Thanks, OldOG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts