Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me 2014. I buy the car and like usually do I find a forum to join. Was not aware of the water pump failures on these. How common is it? They make 50K of these cars a year what kind of failure rate are we talking. I’m not as excites about the car as I was after reading all the stories. Guy in another forums says “congratulations onbuying a ticking time bomb”. I mean seriously is it 1 in 100 or 1 in 10000. Don’t get me wrong I have the 1% kinda luck if it’s gonna fail chances are good it will happen to me haha just curious on failure rate. So far love the car. Scared to drive it.... not really

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nice Taurus!! No one really knows the stats for sure, but it’s likely low. This 3.5 is in a LOT of Ford models - Flex, Edge, Police Interceptor, Explorer....

Keep in mind all cars have some fatal flaws. It’s just a question of what issue. Plenty of interference engines and oil consuming (blow by) cars out there... a lot of forums are full of the problems and seeking assistance, which is good, but it’s not a balanced view, since few people who are highly satisfied actually say anything online... just enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
394 Posts
My local Ford dealer said it is not real common for the failure. Hopefully he is right and this will not self-destruct any time soon, I really enjoy this car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the responses. Although I am not going into this with wool over my eyes I am not gonna rush off to trade it in in fear of the worst. Ill change the coolant as some people have recommended at 30K intervals (car has 105K on it now with original coolant) regular oil changes and preventative maintenance and just enjoy the car till it decides to start acting up. Hoping that's a long time ahead.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
394 Posts
brn, what dealer did this for you in 6 hrs and how much did they charge, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Super Moderator
8,296 Posts
I have a friend who is a Senior Master Tech at a large Ford dealer in upstate New York. He loves doing the Cyclone water pumps. "Book time" is 14 hours, as the official Ford process calls for pulling the engine. He can do one in 6 or so hours without pulling the engine effectively doubling his hourly pay.

·
Registered
2013 SEL
412 Posts
brn, what dealer did this for you in 6 hrs and how much did they charge, if you don't mind me asking?
EDIT: Sorry, misread your question. Apple Valley Ford in Apple Valley MN. It was under an extended warranty, so only cost me $100. Not sure what the book rate is.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
394 Posts
EDIT: Sorry, misread your question. Apple Valley Ford in Apple Valley MN. It was under an extended warranty, so only cost me $100. Not sure what the book rate is.
More than $100 I am sure! You got a deal.
I have a friend who is a Senior Master Tech at a large Ford dealer in upstate New York. He loves doing the Cyclone water pumps. "Book time" is 14 hours, as the official Ford process calls for pulling the engine. He can do one in 6 or so hours without pulling the engine effectively doubling his hourly pay.
I don't know that I can handle 6 hrs bent over a fender anymore. I am thinking when and if the time comes about trading it or finding someone who can do a good job with it.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Always take a look at that coolant level when I fill up the gas on any car, very critical on these models that have internal water pump, not only Ford but GM and imports too.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
if you know your going to keep the car for many years and it has over a 100K on it, i would just budget now to get it done soon. Kind of like a insurance policy. find a independent mechanic to do it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do you guys think it’s worth while to change over to Ford’s new P-OAT coolant (Motorcraft Yellow)? It’s supposed to have good inhibitors to prevent corrosion.. I did a drain n fill but only got about 1.2gal changed that way. The yellow is backwards compatible and can be mixed with Orange. The Orange is no longer being made.. here’s a video:

Maybe that would slow down/prevent Water Pump failure? Frequent oil and coolant changes theoretically should help prevent it. I have 104k on the clock and no weeping yet.. I’ve changed coolant a couple times and do oil every 3-4k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts