Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Not sure if this is the right place for noobz to post.....if this needs to be moved, go right ahead.

Anywhoo....

About a month ago I bought a used 2000 Wagon. It was exactly what I was looking for...I had a vision for this car. It is my daily driver, and I use it to haul a lotta band equipment. This is my second tauras, I used to ride a 95 GL with tint and the same cobra wheels....flow master exaust and a drop in K+N. I rebuilt the motor complete the first time the gaskets went bad....then they went again, and now my trans wont shift outta first.....I even replaced all three shift celonoids and still no luck, :( so that car is parked now.

Back to the 2000 Wagon: I bought it with just under 60,000K on it.
So far here is all I've done to it...

17" SVT Cobras wrapped in Michellin Piolets
5% tint all around back, 30% on front doors

I love the car, although I must admit it's pretty slow with the 3.0L 12-valve pushrod V-6. I will be looking throught the site to find a cold air intake so if anyone has any suggestions....give em here! :)
Within a month I should also do a custom dual(fake) exaust from the cat-back. Most likley Flowmaster.

here is a pic of my wagon(only one I have right now) Lemme know what ya think. The other car in the pic is my show/street car. 2001 Olds Alero GLS. Ive done alot to that car, and will be doing alot more. If ur interested in that one I have more pix and info on it at
www.cardomain.com/id/latenightcreepin

-Alex

Attachments

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Very nice. Welcome to the TCCA. Don't hesitate to ask questions, there are a lot of experienced and friendly members here.

There will be some members that will try and diswade you from going with the flowmasters but having dual flowmaster 40's myself I'd recommend them.

You'll find a lot of members that have made their own CAI's so there are several out there you can read about or ask questions on.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Sweet wheels on both cars BTW.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx alot!! I just may end up building my own CAI or WAI. And I had a single flowmaster 40series on my 95 taurus and loved it.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by SVTwagon@Jun 5 2004, 04:18 PM
Thanx alot!! I just may end up building my own CAI or WAI. And I had a single flowmaster 40series on my 95 taurus and loved it.
There are WAI/HAI out there that can be purchased for taurus or you can make your own. Draxas is currently working on a CAI that can be purchased but who knows when that will be released.

You will get both types here in the club, those that are for CAI and those that are for HAI/WAI. I personally am for the CAI as the colder denser air does not rob you of HP as heat soaked air that a HAI/WAI would draw in does. But read around and check the different forums and threads before you make up your own mind.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll prolly go with a WAI. Its just a daily driver, and it will be drivin thru the winter and rain. I'd have to see the CAI designs to see as where they locate the filter. I have a true CAI on my Olds and the K+N is low to the ground, right behind the fog-light bay....and that thing will get soaked in the rain/snow. Thats why I dont drive it under those conditions..lol.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by SVTwagon@Jun 5 2004, 06:09 PM
I'll prolly go with a WAI. Its just a daily driver, and it will be drivin thru the winter and rain. I'd have to see the CAI designs to see as where they locate the filter. I have a true CAI on my Olds and the K+N is low to the ground, right behind the fog-light bay....and that thing will get soaked in the rain/snow. Thats why I dont drive it under those conditions..lol.
Most people's CAI's i've seen, the filter is located in the wheelwell above the plastic guard (of course) and about near where the front side makers are. There have been a few that have had them lower and a few of them that had hydrolock mishaps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Originally posted by taurus2000@Jun 7 2004, 12:38 PM
So, do those Cobra wheels just go right on with nothing else needed?  If so, I'll have to find a set.

I had the same question. The 'Stang has a different bolt pattern.

5x114.3 for the "Stang and 5x108 for ours (thanks for using a stupid pattern Ford).

EDIT:

Sorry, forgot to say WELCOME!!! Nice car!

I too have a flowmaster 40. The sound of it is growing on me, but I may try somehting else nextime just for grins.

^ Do you see what quitting smoking is doing to me? I can't type anymore!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Welcome to the club! Definitely put on a tranny cooler, and if you're looking for something to do with the intake now, go ahead and remove the intake silencer and get a K&N panel filter.

I definitely like the rims...I might get them when I get my Mustang...

JR

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
To my knowledge, these cars share the bolt patterns:

Taurus is shared with Sable, Windstar (Freestar maybe?) and the Thunderbird from like 1993-UP I believe.

Focus is shared with the Contour/Mystique, 1998-up Cougar, and Tempo/Topaz.

Mustang is shared with the Explorer and the Ranger.

Expedition is shared with the F-Series/Excursion.

Thats all I can think of right now.

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Somebody should show you that lowrided '00 red wagon with hydros! Fricken sweet! That bad boy of yours should get dropped! :coolgleam:

Welcome! :tcca:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Originally posted by NateNBeckie+Jun 7 2004, 12:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NateNBeckie @ Jun 7 2004, 12:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-taurus2000@Jun 7 2004, 12:38 PM
So, do those Cobra wheels just go right on with nothing else needed?  If so, I'll have to find a set.

I had the same question. The 'Stang has a different bolt pattern.

5x114.3 for the "Stang and 5x108 for ours (thanks for using a stupid pattern Ford).
[/b][/quote]
Thats because those are the rims for the prototype SVT Thunderbird which has the same bolt pattern as any of the tauri/sables lol

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Welcome the Club!!

The first thing that came to mind when I saw your wagon was...Red Ghost Flames. I know what you are thinking :unsure: , but hear me out. The red would be only slightly darker than body color, and they would start from about "11 o'clock" postition on front wheel wells, and drift back across rear pass. doors. Now I am not a big fan of flames on the side of anything, unless it's coming outta the exhaust :banana: but it just struck me that they would look great on your wagon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanx alot guys! 2FST4U2C is right, those are the SVT thunderbird wheels. They bolt right on with no spacers/hub-centric rings, etc... I love em. They are 17X7 or by 7.5.....Almost positive its 7 tho. I know tire rack used to sell them in silver clearcoat for 200 a peice. You wont see them on there anymore tho. Im not sure if there discontinued or what. I deffinatly recommend them, they look great on all gen. taurus. Here is a pick of them on my Gen 2 (sorry bout quality, camera fone)

Also, I just picked up my drop in K+N today and will be slappin that in and takin out that stoopid air intake silencer this week.
But why a tranny cooler....probs with this trans?????

And also this taurus in the pick will be takin a one-way to the bone yard relitively soon....so if anyone wants parts lemme know. I am in Northern IL about 25min to WI border.
It has 3.8L with bad gaskets and a bad trans.
But it does have the super-pimp dark green Interior.......I LOVED that int. got sooo many compliments on it. Is that a rare color??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Tranny problems in the Gen3 are relatively few - especially compared to the older cars - still, it's a good piece of mind to install a cooler since its cheap and easy to install yourself.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Troper8@Jun 7 2004, 03:11 PM
Welcome the Club!!

The first thing that came to mind when I saw your wagon was...Red Ghost Flames. I know what you are thinking :unsure: , but hear me out. The red would be only slightly darker than body color, and they would start from about "11 o'clock" postition on front wheel wells, and drift back across rear pass. doors. Now I am not a big fan of flames on the side of anything, unless it's coming outta the exhaust :banana: but it just struck me that they would look great on your wagon.
I agree on the flames.

Welcome to the club also! That is a sweet looking wagon, lowering is definitely in order! A while back, on Ebay, there was a guy selling 96-2000 wagon lowering springs for $50 or so. He had multiple sets. They are H&R springs, a well known brand, and the guy had them on clearance.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Originally posted by SVTwagon@Jun 7 2004, 08:42 PM
But why a tranny cooler....probs with this trans?????

What tranny do you have?? The AX4N or AX4S. The N is the better of the 2. I haven't had any trouble with my tranny, yet. I change the fluid in it every year though.
I have always noticed that my temp was always right in the middle of the H and C markers. Probably right where it's supposed to be. But after installing a tranny cooler, my temp dropped a little bit. To about 3/8's above the C. So, now the cars runs cooler than before. Which uselly means more power and a longer time to use it.
It's always good to get the maintence things out of the way first before going on to performance things. LIke a complete tune-up. Plugs, wires, serpentine belt (gatorback), check suspension and brakes, change all the fluids. But of course when doing this replace all with peformance or better quailty products than OEM.

BTW I like the wheels on your Alero. Send me a PM with some pics and the things you've done to it. My mom has a 2000 GA GT with the 3.4L hopefully you can give me some ideas on what I can do to her car. I know they make a superchrger for it but, that's out of the question. I'm not spending 3000 on my moms car

1 - 20 of 32 Posts