Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
The Michelin Hydroedge tires are TR speed rated, with a 760 A B rating. The T speed rating is classified as "T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans "

I have some 149 mph VR Yokohamas.. but I'm loving that tread on the hydroedge...

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have never driven the Hydroedge, but I will say that everytime I have bought something other than Michelin's I have been dissappointed. I ran almost 90 thousand miles on a set on my Towncar, then put on some Pirelli's because of the better speed and performance rating and was not happy with them at all. So far the stock Firestones on my Taurus are fine but when it's time to replace them it will be with Michelin.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I've been very happy with my Kelly Navigator golds, they're a great all season tire IMO and I got them for a great price at the time too...

Edit: these tires are only S rated tho, but I have no reason to go that fast in this car so they suit me fine.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
*waves his hands in a stopping motion* these are much better rated and I have had NOTHING but excelent comments from coustomers.

click tripple tread

give me your size and I can get you a great deal. and zipcode if you want to know the installed total.

99% of the time I can get them cheaper with my discount than tire rack.

click here for specs and good pics.

this tire also ranked #1 in consumer reports!

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
stpidhoser:

I've got a set of michelin MXV4 plus tires on my volvo now and I think they're pretty good, although I believe they are extremely overpriced, putting money to the side I think they're a relatively good tire. I drove a 940 just like mine with potenza's on it and I thought the difference was incredible, they felt so much sportier and they where waaay cheaper too. I paid $125 a piece for the Michelins, I wish I went with the Bridgestones.

golovko:

I put Navigator Gold's on my Sable wagon last year and I though they where a great all season tire. I got killer grip in the snow with them, but they left a lot to be desired when cornering, they have a soft sidewall, which is good for ride quality, but bad for performance. I'd consider them again for this Sable, it's going to need new tires before winter.

G

·
Originally posted by golovko@Aug 18 2004, 11:06 AM
these tires are only S rated tho, but I have no reason to go that fast in this car so they suit me fine.
When I bought my SHO it has S rated Continentals all around, needless to say I had to "test" those tires out.. a driver needs to know the limits. Then when I bought the VR Yokohama's on it now, I was a little disappointed, not that they didn't grab... it was that they DID, I couldn't have fun anymore they were just too sticky. But it makes for some pretty fast cornering speeds... like 45 for a 90 degree right turn staying in the first lane :lol2: fuuun times.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanx you guys .... but now after all that i was thinking about prices and warranties and all ... and looking at differnt brands i am thinking i will be going with Yokohama Avid H4s ...

can some one help me out and tell me what are all the rateings mean... ( V & H rating :blink: )

Yokohama Avid H4S

for the pirce of these i could by 2 sets of four for the price of one set of for of the HydorEdge :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The letter is the speed rating. I believe that the higher the letter is in the alphabet, the greater the speed rating, so H < V < Z. Z's are the highest rated tire available, and they're damn expensive!

I have Cooper Lifeliners. Had them for 35K and love them. They still have approx 80% of the tread left, after two years and 35K!

JR

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
for the pirce of these i could by 2 sets of four for the price of one set of for of the HydorEdge

you may be right but the more expensive tires will SOMETIMES out last 2 sets of cheaper tires. I'm not saying they are a bad tire, so don't take it the wrong way. all I know is goodyear and its close competition. (hydroedge for example)

G

·
the speed ratings are as follows..

P - 93 MPH
Q - 99 MPH
S - 112 MPH
T - 118 MPH
U - 124 MPH
H - 130 MPH
V - 149 MPH
W - 168 MPH
Y - 186 MPH
Z - 149+ MPH

that's right! you didn't know there was a W or a Y did you?

Like I said... I have VRs, they are meant for cornering and momentarily going 149 mph, the ZRs are for cornering and can go 149mph continuosly or go 149+ mph.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by 93 Sable@Aug 18 2004, 08:00 PM
golovko:

I put Navigator Gold's on my Sable wagon last year and I though they where a great all season tire. I got killer grip in the snow with them, but they left a lot to be desired when cornering, they have a soft sidewall, which is good for ride quality, but bad for performance. I'd consider them again for this Sable, it's going to need new tires before winter.
Yeah, I've noticed the soft sidewalls. It can be an annoyance at times, but overall I'm satisfied with them.

When I bought my SHO it has S rated Continentals all around, needless to say I had to "test" those tires out.. a driver needs to know the limits.
Lol, I actually did that too when I bought the car, I did it with the stock Firestones, I have no idea what those were rated.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
My experience has been that if you get any tire, pick one that is at the top of a manufacturer's line. I remember having Goodyear Weatherhandlers (from Sears and at the bottom of Goodyear's selection) and they were atrocious no matter what condition the road was in - wet, dry, whatever. The Goodyear Aquatreds (at the top of Goodyear's line at the time) were outstanding on the other hand.

The new Goodyear Assurance tires I will probably try out in a year when the horrible original Continentals on my Taurus get remotely close to due for replacement.

I did try out a set of Michelin X-One's a few years ago and was impressed, especially for the price (bought at Price Club). But at this point, I don't want my money going to the French, so I can't buy Michelins, and Goodyear is the last American-owned brand left I think...

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Michelins are FRENCH tires.

Somedude,You can get me a good deal on ALL goodyears? I am neading 2 eagle GTHR's. Stock 16" size. if you can let me know,and if you need an exact size for a price,I can get that tomorrow. Zip code is 85374.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by somedude@Aug 19 2004, 09:35 AM
for the pirce of these i could by 2 sets of four for the price of one set of for of the HydorEdge

you may be right but the more expensive tires will SOMETIMES out last 2 sets of cheaper tires. I'm not saying they are a bad tire, so don't take it the wrong way. all I know is goodyear and its close competition. (hydroedge for example)
This is true that they may SOMETIMES out last a cheaper brand... but its rare. Reason being that a more expensive performance tire will have a significantly lower tread wear. In order for it to stick to the ground well it has to have a softer compound which will cause it to wear out faster. For instance... someone said something about a 720 tread wear rating.... :blink: sounds like a rock hard tire. I can't imagine it being very good for "enthusiastic driving" as I call it. In most cases a good performance tire will have a tread wear rating of around 300. I have seen some that have as little as an 80 tread wear rating.... you would wear out nearly 4 sets of the 80 tread wear rating tires before you would go thru the ones with a 300 tread wear rating. As far as sticking to the road... the ones with the lower tread wear will usually have the most road holding ability. It's all a balance. You have to make that call. I personally would reccomend LEMANS HRs, it's what I currently have on my car (225 55 R 16) and can't complain about a thing. They have excellent cornering, braking (wet and dry) and aren't very noisy. I believe they have a tread wear rating of about 320, with traction A and temperature A ratings. I got these for about $60 a tire thru my friend that works at firestone. Whatever you decide be sure to keep this stuff in mind. Good luck! B)

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I am neading 2 eagle GTHR's. Stock 16" size
thats what I have on my car, I couldent be happier with them, pretty good in the snow too. even at 100mph theyre still pretty quiet. and as for dry traction, well I can barly spin the tires... well I can squack them but I am never without traction, even when I foot brake it upto 2,800 rpm, they don't smoke that much when you do get em spinning (last day of school had to leave my mark :p a 30ft+ mark :D ) i'll check but I checked for someone else on the bord yesterday and tire rack was still a bit cheaper, I can still check for you though.

stock size being 215/60/16 ;)

oh the assurance has a 30 day trial period (nobody has come back yet)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Originally posted by somedude@Aug 20 2004, 07:18 PM
I am neading 2 eagle GTHR's. Stock 16" size
thats what I have on my car, I couldent be happier with them, pretty good in the snow too. even at 100mph theyre still pretty quiet. and as for dry traction, well I can barly spin the tires... well I can squack them but I am never without traction, even when I foot brake it upto 2,800 rpm, they don't smoke that much when you do get em spinning (last day of school had to leave my mark :p a 30ft+ mark :D ) i'll check but I checked for someone else on the bord yesterday and tire rack was still a bit cheaper, I can still check for you though.

stock size being 215/60/16 ;)

oh the assurance has a 30 day trial period (nobody has come back yet)
O.K. thanks. Ya I like the ones I got. Dont give much of a crap about performance in snow,or even rain,(I live in Arizona) But I am extremely happy with the 2 I got on the front. I tried to tell everyone else but they dont want to listen,they keep carrying on about those damn French tires :constipated:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts