Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing new tires, wanted to know which size would be better. I have a Gen 4 Bull and am still gonna use factory rims. My choices right now are 235/55/16 or 225/50/16. Which size would be better???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by sdavis1465@May 26 2004, 07:29 PM
Needing new tires, wanted to know which size would be better. I have a Gen 4 Bull and am still gonna use factory rims. My choices right now are 235/55/16 or 225/50/16. Which size would be better???
What's more important to you--acceleration, or fuel economy? If you're like me, you should go with the 225/50-16s. They'll give you just a bit more pep on the low-end. The 235/55-16s will cut your acceleration a hair, but you'll gain it back in fuel mileage. I think the 225 width is more than adequate for traction purposes.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I wouldnt go 235 on the stock rims. The stock 215's already bulge a little and too much tire bulge will negatively impact handling. 225/55/16 would be a good overall size.

You dont want 225/50/16 because its about an 1" shorter than stock, so your speedo will be off and you will acrue mileage faster than what you are actually traveling.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@May 26 2004, 10:28 PM
You dont want 225/50/16 because its about an 1" shorter than stock, so your speedo will be off and you will acrue mileage faster than what you are actually traveling.
It's not very noticable. When your speedo reads 60, your going 57.9mph.

so how would a wider heavier tire=more rolling resistance give u better gas mileage? just a thought
Because it is a taller tire (0.4" taller.) Less rotation per unit distance (770 revs/mile vs 783 on stock size tires)... lower engine rpms at cruising speed. The weight and resistance are bad, but not as much of a factor in highway mileage as tire height. There's no reason to go with a width like 235 anyway, unless lateral traction is of utmost importance... I'm just trying to show the pros and cons of the two given options.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think i've decided to go with the 225/55/16's. I can find some here for 348.00 installed. They will be Cooper Cobra Gt tires and for the driving i do they will be fine. 10 miles round trip to work and back and the occasional trip to the golf course. B)

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
That is the sized I have been using, 225/55 16, for the past few years. Keep an eye on your right rear fender well. There is a little tab that sticks out around the rear. If you are looking at the wheel well it is right around 10-11 o-clock position. Mine only rubs when I have someone sitting in the back and I go over large bumps.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Last month I put G4 SEL rims on my G3 Taurus. I bought a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires to put on them. These tires not the cheapest, but if bought online the cost seems reasonable. I use the size 225/16/R55 instead of recommended 215/16/R55.

In retrospect, I think I should have used the recommended tire size. The 225 sidewalls bulge a bit too much for my linking, and the left front wheel rubs a little on U-turns. However, I have not noticed the rubbing against the rear fender as noted above. I just came back from a 2000 mile road trip with these. Overall I am happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts