Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for new tires for this summer on tire rack. One that I saw were these Firestone studdable winter tires for $66/tire. They seem to have gotten pretty good marks. Do they work well all year round or are they a bother in the summer with noise and all that?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=S

Do you have any recomendations for tires? I'm trying to keep them relatively cheap. Like around $75 or below a tire.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
While you can run winter tires all year round, it is not generally done. Winter tires are softer and will wear in heat and dry and be loud. Winter tires should be used for just that, winter use.

Fuzion HRi are 60/tire

Dunlop SP Sport 7000 are 62/tire

Sumitomo HTR H4 66/tire

Fuzion VRi 71/tire

all of those are an all season tire that would do you fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Winterforce tires are awesome snow tires, but they suck for handling and noise on dry pavement. I've started out from a stop on a 30 degree incline in 2 inches of snow and didnt slip once. I wouldnt get them for summer.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i have the fusion vri tires on my sable and with shipping 4 of them came to 325. they are pretty good tires the only thing i am not totally satisfied with is the tread wear but i think that is my own fault... (heavy right foot and no rotation after 6k miles...) but they do pretty good in the winter obviously not snow tires but good and they do have excelent wet traction and dry traction!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
QUOTE (Dave SES @ Apr 14 2009, 09:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=717778
Take a look at 225/60/16. I had them on my last two Tauruses. I love them and they fill out the wheel opening just a little bit more than the 215's. I got the Michelin Harmony.[/b]
Just remember that your speedometer and gearing are going to be off because of the larger diameter tire.

For about $10 more per tire, you can step up to the Kumho Ecsta ASX, which is an EXTREMELY awesome tire, in dry, rain, snow, and ice conditions. Many people here have had a ton of success with the ASX. I ran them on my Sable, then my Taurus, and had a set on my wife's Mazda 3, before she traded it (I actually tried to get the guy to give me more because the tires had like...500 miles on them).

$75/tire, installed, is going to be really tough. Tires in that price range are in that price range because they're generally ****** tires, with bad treadwear ratings, noisy tread patterns, short lifespan, or very bad handling characteristics. I understand the need to keep your price as low as possible, but do what you can to buy a better tire. Save your pennies for the better tires. They're the most important part of your vehicle.

JR

·
Registered
332 Posts
I guess 225 is the width of tyre, and hence should not affect the speedo.
225 will improve the braking and road handling over 215, but will reduce the gas mileage a little.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
225 is the width, but the second number is the height of the tires sidewall, as expressed as a percentage of the width. Hence, 225/50 means that the width is 225 mm, and the sidewall height is 50% of the width, 112.5 mm. 225/60 tires would have a sidewall height of 135 mm.

Thus, as the width increases, the sidewall height increases, changing the overall height of the tire.

JR

·
Registered
332 Posts
JR

correct me if I am wrong. I guess total height is 16" as per the last number 16: 225/60/16.
Since 16" is the factory standard, it shouldn't affect speedo.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Exactly. The stock tire and wheel diameter is 26.2 inches, and a 225/60R16 will be 26.6 inches. The speedometer will be 1.8% too slow.

I have 225/55R16s, which end up being 25.7 inches tall. My speedometer reads 1.6% fast.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Apr 15 2009, 11:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=717913
Exactly. The stock tire and wheel diameter is 26.2 inches, and a 225/60R16 will be 26.6 inches. The speedometer will be 1.8% too slow.[/b]
That is correct. However, the unmanned radar units here in the park for some reason, show me right on. I guess a mph or two won't make much difference unless you think you are going 9 over and it's really 11!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts