Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recent little "incident" has prompted me to get new tires, the Kumho Ecsta HP4 716 on tirerack.com Does anybody have any experience with these? They are only $48 on tirerack and I have a local shop that will price match. I want to keep them cheap but at the same time get a good tire that will prevent my sliding problem from happening again.
If you look at the site, you can read about them:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...artnum=16HR6HP4

All the reviews seem very good.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've heard excellent things about them. My bro in law has them on his Crown Vic, and likes them a lot. He says snow traction is good.

On Kuhmo in general, I know Kirk runs Kuhmo's on the 97 V8, and the 91 Plus he has. Different tire, but the same brand name. He likes them a lot.

I've had good luck with Yokohama Avid Touring tires that I had on the 15's that came on the 97, and also with BFG G-force TA radials that I have on the slicers. The BFG's are more money though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Today is my first snow strom with those tires. I got them installed last weekend. Didn't have any issue. Wife's Neon has the same tires. Nice traction, nice price but tirerack customer support was excellent. Got them mounted $10 each @Costco.

2 out of 4 came defective from factory. They were pulling. Tirerack didn't even question, they shipped 2 new ones and send UPS labels for return shipping.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by FullDuplex@Jan 15 2004, 02:33 PM
Today is my first snow strom with those tires. I got them installed last weekend. Didn't have any issue. Wife's Neon has the same tires. Nice traction, nice price but tirerack customer support was excellent. Got them mounted $10 each @Costco.

2 out of 4 came defective from factory. They were pulling. Tirerack didn't even question, they shipped 2 new ones and send UPS labels for return shipping.
cool, thanks for the info.
I'll probably be getting continentals though... mainly b/c that's what the local places have in stock, but I am hearing good things about them, so that's good

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a set of Kumho Ecsta HP4 716 tires on my Taurus LX. These are excellent tires and a downright bargain when you consider the price. They are far superior to the Continental tires for a fraction of the price.

Try to get the Kumhos as they definitely give you more bang for the buck. The tires are more than worth the effort to go out and find them. - Reinhart

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
What is the the mileage life on the Kumho?

·
Registered
99 Posts
The warranty for this tire is 50,000 miles or 2/32 tread and is priced $40 a tire at TireRack.com. It is an H speed-rated tire.

A comparable tire from Continental, the Touring Contact AS, is an H-speed rated tire that is on sale on TireRack.com for $43 with an 80,000 mile warranty.

BUT:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testRe...l=Ecsta+HP4+716

- Reinhart

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I have Ecsta HP4's on my car. They're a good balance of ride and handling, but more of a touring tire than anything. They are, however, better than any tire I've had on a Taurus to date, including Bridgestone re900's and GoodYear Regatta 2's. And they are incredibly quiet and smooth at high speeds, and adhere to the road very well, wet or dry. As far as their ice and snow performance, however...
It leaves something to be desired. Not that they're terrible in snow, in fact, they corner in snow better than most tires I've driven with. It's starting and stopping that's the problem. Their tread design doesn't shed snow and ice very fast, and so in some conditions, like extremely cold snow (20 degrees and lower) traction can become an issue. This is especially compounded if you have a 3.8L, which has way too much torque below 2000RPM, or any of the higher output motors on a Taurus. If you're looking for an all around good tire, with above average marks for dry and wet weather handling (both average and agressive driving) and comfort, then these are a great tire, If you're looking for something that can do equally well in the snow, then these may not be the ideal solution for your needs.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X@Jan 15 2004, 09:38 PM
If you're looking for something that can do equally well in the snow, then these may not be the ideal solution for your needs.
Fortunately for me and some others here, it doesn't snow in Florida!
- Reinhart

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Damn Racer X, is it really 7 degrees?
I thought that 67 was cold out but sheeeeesh 7?
Why you guys live up there if it is that cold?

In fact the next time I redo my coolent I think I may skip the anti-freeze. There is no need for it here. It did get in the high 30's a few weeks ago though.

If you guys like traction at all stay away from the Contiental Touring Contact AS. They were on my car when it was new and suck royally.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by sfblacksel@Jan 15 2004, 09:49 PM
In fact the next time I redo my coolent I think I may skip the anti-freeze. There is no need for it here. It did get in the high 30's a few weeks ago though.
Most anti-freeze made today also work as coolant, increasing the boilpoint while also lowering the freezing point.

You're still better off going with a 50/50 mix.

Just don't use Dexcool. I've seen what it does to the vehicles that use them some time ago and had reversed my opinion of this stuff accordingly. - Reinhart

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm definitely going to keep shopping around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts